Mirkwood Part 1

The company started racing over plains on their ponies trying to reach Mirkwood in time before the Orc pack would catch up. Artemis constantly kept track of which way the wind blew and for any scents of unwelcomed guests. They rode for hours as her thighs were beginning to ache and her body was slowly etching towards sleep. She hadn't gotten a proper rest as her head constantly jerked back up to stay awake.

Eventually her head leant into Thorin's shoulder as his scent through his fur coat sent shivers down her spine as she fell into a deep slumber. Thorin could feel the electricity run through him as she gave a deep sigh. Nearing the end of the day they reach the start of Mirkwood to find it's a very unhealthy forest. They all drew their ponies to a halt, as Thorin gently shook Artemis awake as she winced dismounting.

Once her feet hit the ground she fell onto her back groaning and covering her eyes with her forearm. The dwarves all snickered as Thorin rolled his eye trying to convey annoyance though his eyes glistened with laughter. She wasn't used to aches of horse riding as she slowly flipped herself back onto her feet watching as Gandalf finds the entrance to the Elven path where an old basin stands.

"The Elven Gate. Here lies our path through Mirkwood." He spoke as Artemis glanced up at the un-kept gate. She felt a dark power seeping into her thoughts as she grew unsteady and her hand rested on the hilt of her sword. The rest of the company however are still on their ponies looking out. Bilbo was the only one to notice Artemis's discomfort as he titled his head to the side in confusion.

"No signs of the Orcs....we have luck on our side" Dwalin called out as the rest of the company begins to dismount their horses. Artemis doesn't feel as sure as in the distance the great bear watches.

"Set the ponies lose. Let them return to their master" Gandalf instructed as Artemis gave a nod to the bear in the distance as he nodded in return.

"This forest feels...sick......as if a disease were upon it. Is there no way around?" Bilbo asked unsure as he glanced at the unhealthy looking gateway and creepy forest.

"Not unless you go 200 miles north or twice that distance south" Artemis informed as Bilbo sighed unhappily. Gandalf starts looking at the pathway and the forest, the rest of the company outside the forest is doing what he suggests and are preparing the ponies to head back home. Bilbo's hand trails to his pocket where he finds some comfort holding the ring, whilst Gandalf is drawn towards something. Artemis found herself following on after Gandalf finding something uneasy about this forest.

She watched as Gandalf found an Elven statue covered in vines, he hesitated before pulling them away to see the eye of Sauron painted. Her breathing grew sharp and uneven as she stared at the paint and winced. She flinched when his dark voice entered her mind flashing with the eye piercing into her soul as she stumbled backwards.

"So be it" Gandalf whispered to himself before turning to notice her reaction to the eye. Stuck in her thoughts she didn't see him pass her until she dashed out to see him on his horse once again as she ran up to the horse holding onto his reigns preventing him from leaving as the other watched. Her face was slightly pale as she looked up at Gandalf sternly.

"Gandalf! That can't be what I thought it was? He was defeated" She hissed uneasily as he gave an expressionless face.