House Hunting

"Alex, what about this one?" Mel calls to me from her couch. 

"Be there in a second," I reply from the kitchen, shutting the refrigerator door with my foot and taking a sip of my cranberry juice. Mel's been house hunting since we got back from the mall and organized all my stuff. 

"Okay, what have you got?" I ask, sitting down next to her. 

"Well, I have this apartment in Tuukka's building, this house a couple houses over from here, and another apartment near the Garden. I think a couple of the guys live near there too," Mel says, looking intently at the screen. 

"Okay, so when should we see them?" I ask her. 

"The guys are gonna be in Cali until Saturday, so we can go anytime before then. I'll contact the real estate people right now," Mel says, her fingers flying over the keys. 

"Thank you so much!" 

I hug Mel, and she laughs.

~five days later~

"This is it. This is the one," I decide as Mel and I leave the small house in her neighborhood. 

"You sure?" She asks as we walk back to her house. 

"I'm sure. I liked the apartment in Tuukka's building, but he said he was moving, and it wasn't anything extraordinary. And then I really liked the other apartment where some of the guys stay, but it's far from my rink, and I feel like it has too many party people in it. But that house is perfect! It has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a finished basement, a full kitchen, laundry system, a nice yard, a back porch, and it's close to my rink. I definitely want that one," I bubble as we step into Mel's house, away from the cold New England winter air. 

"We can confirm with Tuukka when he comes back Saturday." 

I scowl at the floor. "Why does everything have to do with Tuukka? I'm my own person," I frown. 

"Yes, but he's the Bruin who's taking interest- maybe something a little more than that- in you," Mel explains as she takes out lettuce and makes two salads. 

I sigh, and help her. "Yeah, but still." 

"I know, I know. Alex Leighton doesn't need a man to tell her how to live her life," Mel smiles, handing me a sandwich. 

"I don't," I say confidently, raising my chin. 

"Alex, even though I know you I barely know you or your life, and it's in no way any of my business, you're still 24 and single. I don't know, do you ever want to start dating?" 

"I'm almost 25," I remind her, and Mel laughs. 

"Sorry. Almost 25." 

I grin at her. "I don't know, I've just never found anyone. I don't mind though. Either I'll find someone or I won't," I shrug. 

"Good philosophy. I'm glad I met Torey, though. If I hadn't, I'd be living in Iowa with my mom!" Mel laughs as she pours dressing on her salad and then hands it to me.

"Farm girl," I tease her as I pour dressing on my own salad. 

"Torey calls me that all the time, and I used to get wicked annoyed with him, but now it's endearing."