Please, Just Help Me Help Myself

Kwame Wekesa sat on the ground in front of his modest home, wondering about the future of his family.

The weather wasn't helping anyone---the ancestral spirits seemed to have abandoned all the farmers---the earth itself was snubbing seeds...

Perhaps he should visit the city, talk to those (what were they called?) development people...

~~~

Kwame got new seeds---new tools (very unfriendly tools)---had to get help to read the "manuals" from the development people---thought his ancestral spirits might be nervous...

~~~

Six months passed---nothing improved---his family was beginning to starve...

~~~

One of the Big Countries sent food---Kwame and his family rationed what they got, very carefully.

~~~

Other folks came to visit, rather like the development people; but, they came to Kwame, he didn't have to go to them; they asked him many questions; they lived in tents and visited the fields with him---more questions, then they all talked with themselves and on their radios.

Later, a helicopter arrived with three more people and some strange tools.

Kwame then learned that most of the tools had been made according to a plan devised from his own answers to all the many questions these folks had asked him---he got along with the tools as if they were old friends...

They taught him about making the air get more moist with a very strange machine---he didn't understand but they told him he'd helped them make the strange machine...

They also brought seeds just like the ones he used to have---he fed the seeds from the first group of development people to his starving cow (praying it wouldn't get sick...).

~~~

New sprouts two months later.

Three more months and there were baby vegetables.

Two years later and Kwame was forming a collective with his neighboring farmer friends that helped them all begin to export food.

~~~

Three years later:

Kwame held his new son---thought about those kind folk who'd asked him so many questions---decided they were friends of his ancestral spirits.........

~~~~~~~~~

If you liked this story, consider giving it a vote :-)

If you have a question, please, do ask me in the Comments...

New Tale Next Saturday