"Alternative Facts"

"What are you talking about?!"

Jim had been arguing with his friend Tom for about an hour---they thought they were discussing various points about the way the city had encouraged so much business construction.

Tom responded: "You don't know what I'm talking about? After everything I've been saying?

"Well, I know What you're talking about but it still makes no sense..."

"It's just like the papers say; my god, this is the fifth time I've said it..."

"Said what?"

"The papers have always said that the city needs more business---were right near the highway---folks are moving out---we need business to attract residents."

"Oh, that's what you've said forever---thing is, more business building means less residential building---more business will make more folks move out."

"Not necessarily---"

"Hell you say!"

~~~

The following day, Jim and Tom got into it about women in the sciences.

"Tom, I agree that women have brains but not the smarts needed for the hard sciences."

"So, keep all the intelligent women in the soft sciences---like what? domestic science, home economics?"

"Don't twist what I say---smarts is different than brains---"

"Whose dictionary you using?"

~~~

About two days later, Tom and Jim were "discussing" the political scene.

"Jim, how can you believe that the progressives are for the middle class when there is no middle class?"

"No middle class? Tom, you're so middle class I think they created the term just for you..."

"What'd'ya think middle class means?"

"Well, it seems like you're using a meaning from some other part of the galaxy..."

~~~

Tom and Jim were at the cafe and had just made a new acquaintance, Mary, who was apparently a writer.

What's referred to as communication was an activity that Tom and Jim were never that good at; but, they had a rare opportunity to learn about communication while Mary was sitting at the table...

About five minutes of general comments circulated around the group; then...

"So, Tom, what about that ball game?"

"You call that a ball game? The Trojans were asleep!"

"Asleep? They were moving, right?"

"Sleep-running..."

"Well, your Bulldogs must have over-eaten again!"

"You don't know what you're talking about!"

"Neither do you!"

Mary stood up and bowed a bit...

Both men said, "Where ya goin'?"

Mary smiled faintly and said, "Somewhere that has no opinions flying---a space for truth and civility---a land that spawns the search for real answers and firm conclusions."; and, she promptly left.

Tom and Jim began to argue about who had chased her off...

~~~~~~~~~

If you liked this story, consider giving it a vote :-)

If you have a question, please, do ask me in the Comments...

New Tale Next Saturday