chapter 5

Wreck Room

"You're not sick, are you, Odd?" asked Ulrich as he dried his hair. "Usually you start the day singing something from Paco the King of Disco."

"I dreamt about a deadly epidemic that was transmitted by potatoes meaning there were no more french fries or mashed potatoes for lunch. Do you believe in nightmares like that, huh?" asked Odd.

"Absolutely. But don't worry, if you ask Einstein nicely, he'll program you some virtual fries," joked Ulrich.

"Food is sacred, Ulrich, so no jokes, okay?!"

"Speaking of Einstein one and two, where are they?"

Harry's and Jeremy's dorm

"Hey, Jeremy, forget you had a bed?" asked Ulrich as he shook Jeremy awake. Harry punched Odd in the face.

"What was that for?!"

Harry snored.

"He punched me and he's still sleeping?!"

"I spent the night on a recovery program to bring back William," said Jeremy sleepily. "What's the time?"

"Ten to. Better hurry, we wouldn't want to miss the blockbuster maths class on Thales' theorem."

"Ok. See you there," said Jeremy as he stretched. "I finished the program. As soon as classes are over, we can launch it. I promised Harry that he could see if it worked on Lyoko. Better get this lump up."

Jeremy pressed a spot behind Harry's ear.

"What… Hey Jeremy."

"It's time to get up."

Two clones materialised.

"You have to go Harry."

Harry pouted as the clones disappeared.

Lunch hall

"You're too late! You can't have seconds today," said Rosa as Jeremy walked over.

"But- I haven't even had firsts!"

"You did, Jeremy! Odd Della Robbia said you gave him your portion!"

"Well done. No sleep. No meal. Nothing like living a healthy life," said Ulrich as Jeremy walked over with an empty tray. Harry pulled out a packed if nuts and gave it to Jeremy.

"What's wrong?" asked Odd. "Ulrich told me that you were skipping breakfast. It woulda been a pity to waste a good meal. ...You want half of my banana?"

"No thanks. I lost my appetite."

"You'd better not deny that you pig out all the time," said Aelita as Odd scoffed the rest of the banana.

"It's not so much pigging out, more like survival instinct."

"Survival?"

"I've got to build reserves in case potatoes are contaminated like in the nightmare I had last night."

"You're svelte Odd," said Harry.

"I'm not svelte, I'm scrawny!" Everyone burst out laughing.

"Your attention please, boys and girls. I have an important announcement to make," said Delmas. Everyone looked at him.

"That's it. My nightmare's come true. Goodbye potatoes forever," moaned Odd.

"This afternoon after class we will have the grand opening of the recreation room you've all been waiting for," continued Delmas.

"There's no epidemic?" asked Odd. "Long live french fries! Yahoooo!"

"This recreation room was designed for relaxation," said Delmas as the students cheered. "You will have at your disposal a football table as well as a ping pong table and a television set. Quieten down. Remember, with privileges come responsibilities! That means you take care of your rec room and that responsibility will be given to a person through election."