chapter 7

Maiden Voyage

"For those who are not familiar with the sport, rock climbing is a noble discipline, which can carry you to great heights," said Jim. "A good climber can command both mind and body."

"Coming through!" Sirius ran through the class with paint cans, splashing paint everywhere. Harry hit his head on the wall.

"You're cleaning that up! And so, don't forget that only by challenging yourself can you move mountains, and might I add, climb them," continued Jim. "Belpois, get up there. Let's see if you're up to the challenge. This will be the practical part of today's lesson."

Jeremy stared at the climbing wall.

"Go on." Jeremy started to climb. "What's the matter? Pull up with your arms and push up with your legs. You got chewing gum for muscles or what?"

Jeremy reached for the next handhold and fell.

"Of course if the only exercise you get is clicking your computer mouse, you're not going to conquer any peaks," said Jim. "Stern! Show your roommate here how it's done!"

Harry walked over to the wall and started to climb.

Lunch Hall

"It's no big deal Jeremy," said Aelita as Herb walked past. A dollop of mash potato hit Herb and everyone laughed.

"What happened this morning?" asked Yumi.

"We had to scale the rock wall in Gym," explained Ulrich.

"Ok, enough said."

"I don't believe it…I can't be that bad at every single sport," Jeremy muttered to himself.

"Of course not! …actually no, you really are lame at anything athletic! Anyway who cares?" asked Aelita. "You can't be a champion at everything!"

"Besides, nobody could be as awesome as me," said Harry as he nudged Jeremy. "Do you want me to ask Sirius to prank someone?"

"Harry's right, stop sulking," said Odd. "We could try scaling the wall together."

"Do you think I have time for that monkey business?" asked Jeremy. "We have too much work to do."

"That's for sure," said Yumi with a small smile. "You spend all your time shut up in the computer lab. What are you working on?"

"We're ironing out the final kinks in the Skid," explained Aelita.

"You're still working on it?" asked Ulrich in surprise. "I thought it was done."

"That doesn't mean that there aren't any bugs," said Harry. "We had to add in an extra Navskid for Sirius."

"And navigating the network isn't like taking a stroll through Lyoko," said Jeremy. "The digital sea is still a complete mystery. For all we know, the Skid could disintegrate during its first dive. I'm not worried about the Lightning. Harry is a much better programmer than I am."

"Well, that's reassuring," said Odd as he started at Jeremy's food. "Can I have that?"

"Go ahead."

"Cool!" Odd grabbed the tray and started to scoff it down.

"You know, we're going to have to test it out if we want to take on Xana," said Yumi as Delmas walked in.

"Quiet down, please! I said quiet down! Quiet, I said!"

"MISTER DELMAS SAID QUIET DOWN, AND THAT MEANS NOW!" yelled Jim.

Silence immediately fell on the cafeteria. All the students were turned around, staring at Jim in shock. Jim looked very satisfied