F I V E

CHAPTER 5

CLAIRE

*2 days ago*

I wash my face, water dripping down my chin. I stare in the mirror as it dries. I walk out, and change my underwear. I get to the bed, under the covers. But I panic when I hear the silence. I can't bear it. I push the covers off, sitting up. I stare at the skyline, just waiting...

I feel my heart beat slow down steadily and I take a deep breath of relief when I hear his footsteps from the hallway. I walk to the door to hug him once he enters. Huh, that was much faster than 20 minutes.

The door knob starts moving, and find it weird that he's struggling to get into the bedroom. Hah, you would think he would get the hang of it after 4 months of living here.

With every passing second, I feel weight lifting off my shoulders. I feel sort of helpless sometimes, when I can't even be alone for 15 minutes without having anxiety.

And I know that I don't really have anything to be worried for. I mean, I'm in a penthouse in New York for christ sake. I am safe.

Although, I have to admit that I'm still worried that Zayn hasn't been caught. The time when he threatened me not to tell anyone has left a constant gnawing feeling in my stomach. And I did tell Harry not 24 hours after. And then his face showed up in the news, which made him a fugitive.

A sudden flash of his face takes over my sight when I stare back at my painting. How did I not notice it before?

I didn't even think of him while painting it

I didn't even think of him while painting it. It must be solely retrieved from my subconscious. I always felt agony and distress while painting it. I didn't even notice it was him before right now, the first time I've thoroughly thought of him in a long time.

My eyes adjust to the exact same face once the door finally opens.

•

*Current time*

Alone. I used to hate being alone. But for the last two days, I have savored the hours when It's just me, and he's not here.