T W E N T Y N I N E

CHAPTER 29

HARRY

I stretch out on my bed, releasing a loud sound that is nowhere near human as I slowly open my eyes.

"Good morning," I hear Claire laugh from the kitchen, making me jump slightly. My face turns red as I'm embarrassed that she heard me.

"Morning," I say as I sit up on the couch, rubbing my eyes.

"Yeah good morning," Michael says, and I sense a hint of dismay in his voice. I get up from the couch and put on a t shirt, and walk over to the kitchen table they are sitting at. They are eating eggs and bacon, so I head to the stove to cook some for myself.

"What time is it?" I ask, slicking my hair back as I crack an egg into the pan.

"10:43 AM," Claire says, pressing the home button on her phone. Wow. I haven't slept this much since before Claire got abducted. And I feel it around my body, my muscles tingling with relaxation. As I finish cooking the food, I pour myself a glass of orange juice and I notice the surprising tension between Michael and Claire. They both eat quietly, not even looking at each other once.

"I'm seeing Louis today" Claire says. My eyebrows raise when I come to think of that Louis haven't checked on Claire since she moved in here after she woke up.

"Ok, when is he coming over?" I ask, and Claire squints her eyes, sinking slightly into her chair.

"Actually, I w- I was wonderi-... I wanted to ask if you would be alright with me meeting him for lunch, at a cafe or something." She utters gently, her back sitting up straight. I cringe when the words register, because I know I'm gonna disappoint her by my answer.

"No, I'm sorry, but I still don't want you leaving the apartment." I say, staring into her eyes and laying my palm flat out on the table.

"Figures," I hear Michael scoff, and I look over at him. He glares at me with disgust, shaking his head.

"Excuse me?"

"Don't mind me, I'm just idly sitting here, watching you strip Claire of all her dignity and willpower." He shrugs, and my palm curls into a fist when I hear those words spit at me.

"What? Need I remind you that I'm letting you stay here rent-free even though I want you out of here, due to her wishes?" I gripe at him, and he rolls his eyes.

"You won't have to worry about me anymore, I'm out of here the day after tomorrow." He says, and a surprising relief pulses. Just looking at him, knowing how much troubled he has caused between Claire and I... It's building up to resentment, and I'm getting angry.

"Good, I'm glad." I try to suppress my anger, but it reaches my surface.

"Claire, you can call Louis and tell him to come here. You're not leaving the apartment." I order, getting up from the chair. Claire's eyes darken and they seem annoyed as I walk away.

Ugh, this is exactly the things that makes her unsure about me. But the second she asked me to leave the apartment, I got panicked with the image of her being out in the open. We kissed yesterday, but I still have to be careful to make her trust me.

And to think I started this day with a good mood.

•