E L E V E N

CHAPTER 11

CLAIRE

"I always thought of myself as an unlucky boy," Zayn says into my ear as I slowly start to wake up. I curl my toes as he tightens his grip on me. It's like we didn't move since last night. He must've slept here too.

"Did you know my father had a drug problem?" he asks and I yawn as his stubble grazes against my neck.

"He hit me and my mother, too..." he says and a feeling of worry spreads around my gut. Zayn is sad... I don't want him to be sad. I turn around, and look him in the eye. He smiles at me, with a pained look in his eyes.

"Beat her to death, actually. He went to prison and I was tossed away to the system." His fingers runs through my hair, and I take a deep breath before leaning closer. Close enough to feel his heartbeat. It's amazing...

"I had 5 foster families, until I was 18 when I was thrown out to live on the street." He reveals, and I wonder why he's telling me all this. But I'm glad he's opening up.

"I moved to LA when I had saved up enough money, and I wanted to make it as a singer." I've never heard his singing voice before, I bet it's amazing. I travel my hand to his jaw, the tips of my fingers just reaching into his hairline.

"A couple of years went by with no luck, and I was stuck in this waiter job for a long time." He says, reminding me of when I first saw him. I never thought we would be here, but I'm glad we are.

"I always thought of myself as an unlucky boy."

"But then you came into the restaurant one night." His eyes widen and his eyebrows raise. A tear gathers in his eyes, and I wipe it away just before it falls on the floor.

"And when you smiled at me, I felt like the luckiest boy in existence!" His voice pitches as a few more tears fall.

"Since then, all I could do was think about you."

"Harry came in my way, he made you tell the world that I had assaulted you." He says with a laugh, shaking his head lightly.

"I didn't assault you, you liked what I did to you in that alley, didn't you Claire?" He says with a hint of hope, a few more tears brewing. He's sad. I want him to feel better.

"Yes I did, thank you," I mutter the words, and he smiles. Good, he's not sad anymore.

"And right now, with you in my arms, all tied up... I am the luckiest boy in the world."

He kisses me, and I press my lips against his. Soft... Lovely... Amazing, they are. I hope he likes kissing me.

"Do you love me?" Zayn asks as the corners of his mouth curve.

"Of course I do," I say, smiling. I get closer to him, burying my head into his chest, and he laughs. He puts his hand on my head, and slightly distances me to look me in the eyes.

"And you are mine?" he asks.

"Yes, I am yours." A tear falls out of my eye. Why am I crying?

"Not Harry's?" he asks, putting his hand on my cheek. He kisses me and waits for an answer. I look into his dark eyes, and I smile. I frown when I'm not able to answer. Harry...

I wake up.

My heart starts to race and my body writhes, trying to get away. He rolls his eyes as he understands what's happening, and puts his hand over my mouth.

"Shut up! God you're annoying when you're you."

He gets up and sits on top of me. I continue my screams, wanting this to end. I don't want to be like this. I can't be like this. He slaps me hard across the face, and grabs my it, holding my cheeks together.