T W E N T Y T H R E E

CHAPTER 23

CLAIRE

"Did you see him leave." Harry doesn't ask, but demands.My heart races and chills run through me all the way to the tips of my fingers when I realize; I didn't see the pizza ma-... Zayn. I didn't see Zayn get into the elevator after handing me the food.

He could still be in the apartment.

I try to speak a sentence, but it comes as a muffled stutter. I just shake my head, and I cover my mouth with my palm, my surroundings creeping in on me. But I can't look away from Harry's eyes as something in them fades away - and is replaced by something much darker. The silence is more unnerving than anything I've experienced, and my heart jumps as Harry - in one quick movement - gets up from my couch and grabs my hand. I didn't expect the unhinged force in his touch as he pulls with all his might - dragging me across the living room.

I am in such a state of shock that I can't quite react, but I notice Michael right behind whispering loudly at Harry. But Harry's hand stays wrapped around my wrist, and he drags me into the bedroom.

"Harry!" My throat wheezes as he throws me inside. My body weakens slightly as my head hits the carpet floor, my lungs desperately reaching for air. Michael gets inside too, crouching beside me and screams at Harry.

"What the fuck!" He elevates my head, putting it on his lap as Harry points his finger at me.

"Don't. Fucking. Move." Harry's eyes are wide with panic. He shuts the door, and my bewildered thoughts run wild as my head spins.

"No... Harry..." I moan, reaching for the door. He could get hurt.

"Shh, Claire. Be quiet," Michael whispers, his voice breaking. He's scared. Strangely, I'm not.

Michael tries to hold me back when I move towards the door, but I manage to escape his grip and press my head against it. But I don't hear anything but some footsteps. It reminds me of something... I don't know what.

I want to scream for him. But I can't. Zayn could find out where I'm hiding.

As the pounding in my head slowly calms down, I make out a few sounds of a woman speaking. But I realize it's the TV that's still on. I hear Zayn's full name repeatedly, as I relive the moment when our hands touched as he handed me the boxes. This the man who assaulted me, abducted me, drugged me out of my mind, and tried to kill me. He is in this apartment. I should be scared.

But I'm not.

The woman on the television keeps talking and I hear his name as the photo scales larger. Zayn Malik. His black hair and his eyes should have made me realize. But I didn't even think to consider it... And he was here. Zayn Malik.

My mind catches up with the situation, and I think about Harry. Where is he? No matter how much I try to concentrate, I can't hear the footsteps anymore. He is walking through the apartment! He is in danger.

"Dial 911," I whisper to Michael, who has a few tears running down his cheek. I got him into this. Into a life threatening situation, only because he wanted to help me. He nods slowly, crawling to the night stand where a house phone lies. He is gonna hate me.

I take the chance to get up, getting to my trembling feet and open the door. Michael turns to me, his eyes widening and his head shaking. I have to make sure Harry doesn't get hurt.

"I'm sorry," I mouthe and walk out of the room, closing it behind me.

The hallway is dim, and I can see all the way into the kitchen as I suffocate myself to keep from making noise. I walk gently on the hard wooden floor, to keep from making any noise.

Still completely silent. Where is Harry? Where is... Zayn?

I lean against the wall at the end of the hallway, and lean my head to look into the living room. There is no one there.

I walk backwards into the bathroom, taking a deep breath as I walk into the wall.

Or at least what I thought was a wall.

"Hey baby," his deep voice makes my eyes flinch. I turn around, and I see his smile. I'm about to scream. I'm about to cry. I'm about to run. But I don't feel the need to. The strangest feeling appears in my gut -- telling me I'm completely safe. He kisses me, and I melt into it. I put my hands on his neck, and he moans loudly on top of my lips.

"Zayn," I breathe as we part, and he embraces me. I'm about to push him off me. I'm about to punch him. I'm about to kick him. But I'm completely paralyzed, my body stiffening by his touch.

"Why are you here?" I ask, a tear rolling off my cheek. He wipes it away, and kisses my cheek.

"I needed to see you," he whispers, running his hands through my hair. Oh, how I love his touch.

"You killed me," I cry, burying my face in his chest. He shushes me, rubbing my back.

"No no no... I knew you'd survive. You're my little fighter," he smiles, and I embrace him. I press my skin against his, desperate for his approval.

"Unfortunately, things didn't work out how I wanted them to..." He continues, and my chest aches.

"I have yet to get what I want."

"Be quiet baby, we don't want Harry to find us." He says, putting his hands on my waist. And as soon as I hear Harry's name, I do all the things I couldn't do before. I push him away, kneeing him right between his legs, and running off. I run to the kitchen, hiding behind a counter.

Oh my god, what was that? I was out of control! I felt completely twisted. My mind jumps back to when the doctor explained the effects of the drug Zayn gave me.

"Victims become dependent on their captors, even believe they love them."

I hear footsteps approaching, and I close my eyes. I gasp desperately for air as I feel a hand on my back, but a sensation of relief washes over me when I see Harry crouching down beside me. I try to touch him, but he grabs my hand, glaring at me with furious eyes.

Keeping his grip, he looks over the counter and a few seconds later drags me with him into the bedroom. I don't dare to say anything, and as we pass the bathroom, I see that Zayn isn't there anymore. Where did he go?

"Fucking hold her back." Harry whispers sharply to Michael. He closes the door once more and I'm left helpless.

Michael whispers into the phone, looking away from me. He called 911, and he's staying on the line. I press my hand against the wooden door, letting a few tears escape when I think of Zayn getting hurt.

No! I mean... Harry. Harry getting hurt.

"They're on their way," Michael whispers in a sob, crawling back to me and hugging me. Please, please, please... let Harry be okay.

My palm slides off the door and my heart drops to the floor when I hear a gunshot being fired.

A/N

Ohhhh wow that was intense!! Were you guys scared?? I was lmao.

k see you next chapter byee xx