T W E L V E

CHAPTER 12

HARRY

Wake up. I need to wake up. This is not bearable. This can't be true.

She lies peacefully in the box, her hands laid on her stomach. Under her are pillows, elevating her head. Her whole body is pale and her lips are white. The lips that used to be full of color.

She wears a purple... She's wearing the purple dress I gave to her. Zayn must've grabbed it when he was in the apartment. He planned this. This was his plan all along.

Memories of her flashes through my mind.

The first time we met...

I walk towards the exit, but a sudden push to my shoulder makes me stop in my tracks.

"Oh, I-Im so sorry," the hesistant brunette said, looking down at her feet. She was very shy, as her cheeks turned a bright red when I looked into her eyes. Her hair gleamed from the lights and presented my eyes with a glow like no other. She immediately earned all of my attention when she shyly looked up at me. I remember my intense and sudden interest, just after one glance I was hooked on her hazel eyes.

When my feelings became to much for me to not make a move...

"So how d'you like LA?" I ask, trying to break the silence. We are alone in her room, and even though she can't tell, my heart is racing.

"It's amazing, I love it here," she smiles, and I try to return it. That's it. I can't go another second without my hands on her.

Without thinking twice, my hand travels from behind my back to her hips, circling to her waist. Ah god, she feels unbelievable. I see in her eyes that she is surprised, but I notice from her breath that she's enjoying it.

"Is it weird that I want to kiss you Claire?" I say, and a surprising drop in my gut appears. She makes me nervous.

"Can I kiss you?" I say and wait for an answer, as she stares at me, as if she can see directly into my soul. To my surprise, she nods, and closes her eyes. Wow, she is beautiful.

When we first were intimate...

She just hung up the phone, and I can feel her fall apart in my arms. I try to comfort her, but she seems to far away into abyss to be comforted.

"C'mere," I try, holding her close. She cries into my chest, and I can feel her tears hit my skin.

"I want to," she says in between sobs, grabbing my shirt in a fist. She looks up carefully, and understand what she means, making me freeze. Really?

I want to," she repeats and kisses me.

"What?" I say, and she nods, kissing me again. I close my eyes and enjoy the feeling of her lips on mine. With her body in between my hands, I feel myself growing.

"You sure?" My breath already becomes heavy as I feel electricity between our bodies.

"Mhm," she moans against my ear, and I lift her up. I kiss her with all my might, and another tear of her's falls on my cheek. She wants me to make her feel better. Right now, this is the only way to comfort her.

I carry her into bed as I kiss her neck, and I lay her down carefully.

I love her.

When she chose me...

"I fell in love with you," she speaks, making my heart race. I don't know if she's here to stay or say good bye.

"With the good in you... And the bad you see in yourself," she puts her flat palm on my chest and her smiles when she feels my heartbeat.

"And so, Harry..." she builds and I have to struggle to stand. The sight of her makes me weak, and to think that I might have to live without her... It's unbearable.

"I will always choose you."

I fall back onto the floor, and I make it to the corner of the room, curling up against the window. I turn my head away, looking out onto the city. Tears stream freely from the corners of my eyes, and I force myself to look at the wooden casket on the bed.

I can't breathe, I can't move, I can't function.

Without blinking, I stare at the box. The box containing her body. Her dead, lifeless body. A minute of aching pain passes and I slowly get to my feet with trembling knees. I walk over, and her face is still there. Her beautiful face, pale and dead.

I actually thought I would get her back. That after all of this, she would end up in my arms and we would live out our lives. But she ended up in a casket, dead and cold. My heart beats out of my chest and my breath hitches as the tears continue to fall.

I reach my hand to hers, laying it on top it. Her hands are laid on her stomach, and they are cold. I don't even recognize them. It's not Claire... It's just her body. Claire is gone. For good.

My sobs and shouts of terror fills the room as I crumble to my knees, still holding her hand.

"Please! Claire, I can't live without you," I whimper. Even though it's hopeless, I beg for her to wake up. But she doesn't respond, she doesn't move. Her life was taken. She is no longer there.

I get to my feet, and I look down on her.

"I'm so sorry Claire," I sob, my vision blurring from tears of guilt. I lean down, putting my lips on hers one last time. They meet cold on mine, and a tear falls on her cheek. I stroke her hair, as her eyes stay closed.

This, right now, is the end of my hopes for a happy life. I will never come back from this.

Never.

•

"Sir?" The police officer says when I don't respond as we stand in the living room. It has been 20 minutes since I found her, and I called the police. I shake my head, walking away when I see the gurney with her body being rolled out of our bedroom. She is covered by a white sheet, and I stop the men that are rolling the gurney towards the elevator. My eyes hurt to keep open, but this is the last chance I have of seeing her.

I see the hundreds of photographers and reporters gathering outside the building from the window. This is real. This is happening. I stand over the gurney and I lift the sheet off her face as another tears falls, and look at her one last time. The amount of pain coursing through me when I realize that I will never see her again, is indescribable. I have to say...

"Goodbye, Claire."

A/N

:(