3am Thunder

The flash of lightening lit up Rin and Nitori's room. Rin felt himself jump slightly at the loud rumble of thunder overhead.

It was somewhere near 3am and the red-haired boy was staring at the ceiling. He hadn't been sleeping well recently so this view was a frequent component of his life at the moment.

Rin ran a hand through his hair and sighed quietly, not wishing to wake his silver haired friend below.

Another flash of lightning emitted through the room and was suddenly followed by a slight whimper from the bunk below. Rin squinted his eyes slightly, not sure if he had heard a noise from the bunk underneath him. He passed it off as nothing and continued his stare off with the ceiling.

Thunder rumbled ferociously and was followed by another even louder whimper.

Rin sat up and leaned over the side of his bunk, looking down to the small boy curled up beneath him.

"Nitori, you okay?" Rin asked in a quiet voice.

Nitori proceeded to ignore Rin and turn to face the wall.

"Whatever" Rin replied and lay back down on his bunk, not sure what had gotten into his friend.

Yet again a flash of lightening. A whimper too.

Rin sighed again and sat up. He threw the cover off of him and made his way down the ladder. The red haired boy walked over and sat down on the bottom bunk.

"Nitori" Rin said firmly.

"It-it's ..stupid" Nitori replied through sniffles.

"It's okay to be scared of thunderstorms. It's not stupid" Rin reassured the smaller boy, placing a hand on his legs.

Nitori rolled over to face Rin with a frown and a slight nod.

"I'm...scared" Nitori admitted in a hushed tone, flinching when the thunder rumbled outside.

Rin sat there for a moment before dealing slightly defeated. There was only one thing he could think of to do which might help Nitori to feel more safe.

"Do you uh, uhm, do you want me to you know, like, sleep down here with you?" Rin asked slightly awkwardly.

"If..if you don't mind. Yes...i-I would feel more comfortable" Nitori shyly admitted as he gently moved closer to the wall making way for the other boy.

Rin made his way under the covers and wrapped them around himself and Nitori. He found his arm being tugged slightly as the small blue-eyed boy wrapped it around the side of his torso.

Nitori fell asleep first only a few minutes later. Then, not long after, so did Rin.

It was the best sleep Rin had had in days.