18.) birthday anxiety

joe

"So, I'm having a bit of a problem with Ruby right now." I say into the camera as my girlfriend attempts to get her feet on the ground from where she's sitting on my lap in my gaming chair. She tries to spin the chair a bit for her own entertainment. "Now, Caspar's birthday was a couple weeks ago, and instead of going out to a club to party, Caspar just decided to have a bunch of people over at our flat. Ruby hates people, so she retreated downstairs, and I followed because I didn't want her to be alone.

"She was looking at all my games and got surprised when she saw that I had The Sims. Apparently it wasn't like a huge thing when she was growing up, and thus our problem occurred that she's never played The Sims. But, we are going to fix that tonight."

"I really don't care. Like, what's the big deal with The Sims?" Ruby ask, turning to look at me. I move her hair off of the headphone cord connecting us.

"You'll see." I tell her as she fixes my Cavalier's SnapBack. She's tried to steal it on numerous occasions, and I know that if I just give it to her, she won't wear it nearly as much as when she thinks she is being rebellious. And, just my opinion, but she looks pretty damn hot in my hat. "Also, guys, I'm sorry if you hear a lot of screaming. Caspar is filming right next us at the exact same time."

"Joe, why are we copying Zalfie?" Ruby asks, leaning back against my chest. She told me beforehand that she was going to ask it, and I still don't have a good excuse for why, except for the fact that Ruby has never played The Sims at some point in her life.

With Zoe and I, it was always kind of like a major thing during our childhood. We'd have to get the game and all the expansion packs that followed. Nothing changed as we both moved into adulthood.

When I'm about to continue talking, a shrill scream echos through the room, making Ruby jump. "I'm going to go make sure Caspar isn't dying." I say, patting Ruby's back to make her stand up. I pull the earbud out of my ear before walking over into Caspar's room, which is now permanently Caspar's room once again. Even though everyone asks about Ruby and I moving "too fast", I don't even know if it's true or not. I've never liked anyone like I've liked Ruby. It doesn't bother either of us to sleep in the same bed. It just seems so natural to both of us.

I open Caspar's door without knocking to see him sitting on his bed, holding his phone in his hand. "What are you doing, mate?" I ask him before I hear Jack screaming over the other line about something incoherent. "Are you prank calling?" I say as Caspar continues to laugh loudly. The blonde nods his head, unable to speak because of laughter.

When I close the door, I hear Ruby now screaming in my room. I push open the door to see her spinning in my gaming chair on the phone. "Regina, you just need to calm the fuck down." She says sternly before spotting me in the doorway. She stands from the chair, offering it to me as she listens to Regina on the other line.

I don't take a seat, and instead I stand in front of her as she begins biting her fingernails, a habit she picked up from Jack, probably. I rub her upper arm slowly as she talks into the phone again. "Would you just quit screaming in my ear? Oh, my God, Reg. Reg, shut up. I'm going to give my phone to Caspar." When she pulls her phone away from her ear, I hear muffled shouting. She pushes past me and into Caspar's room. I hear him protest until she tells him it's Regina.

When she exits the room to where I am standing in the hallway, Ruby immediately begins tearing up. "Regina is having an anxiety attack, and I don't know what to do about it. I don't know if I can help her." I wrap my arms round her small body, holding her close.

I wouldn't have thought that - with the way Ruby was talking - Regina was having an anxiety attack. I don't question Ruby on it, though. I'm too scared to upset her further.