22.) chamomile tea and skinned knees

joe

"Hey, Jack." Ruby smiles as she approaches the blonde leaning against Conor's SUV. They hug for a short second as I toss her duffel bag into the boot of the car. Ruby had somehow convinced Jack, Josh and I to go footballing with her. We tried to bring Caspar and Conor along, but Caspar had a date with Maddie, and I'm not sure anyone really knows what Conor is currently doing. I told Caspar he could've brought his girlfriend along, but I'm not sure how that would've actually unfolded.

At Ruby's birthday party, Maddie and Ruby developed a little wrinkle in their relationship. I don't know what really happened, but pre-drunk Ruby threatened to kick her out of the flat before Zoe could reach them and break it up. I haven't really had the chance to ask her away from everyone else. The week after her birthday, I spent spoiling her with anything she asked for. And the few days after she completely opened up to me about her past with her mum, we've spent at home mostly, trying to occupy each other's time with anything that we know makes the other one happy.

"What are you doing to my girlfriend?" I ask Jack as he hands her the keys to Conor's car and encourages her to get behind the wheel. He laughs slightly at her face of disbelief.

"I've never drove in London. I'm scared to drive in London." She rambles, waving her hands around in exaggeration. Ruby has talked numerous times about getting a UK license, but she's never fully gone with her plan.

"Are you sure it's the best idea to let her drive?" Josh cuts in, peeking his head out the passenger window. Ruby looks at me, as if asking for advice.

"Do whatever you want, babe." I say, holding my hands up in defense. I couldn't see it going that poorly. I've heard from Regina that Ruby used to have to drive her everywhere because she never got a license, so I'm not too worried about her driving since she must've done it a lot, but it is slightly scary driving on the different side of the road. Especially the first time.

"You're sitting in the backseat, though." She answers, pushing me gently as she tightens her grip on the keys. "You are the worst backseat driver." I blame it on a habit since Caspar is kind of a shitty driver, but I am really bad at keeping my mouth shut when I'm in a car.

I climb into the backseat behind the driver's seat as Jack forces Josh to trade seats with him. Honestly, I wouldn't have picked anyone else to help Ruby to drive, except for maybe Conor. Conor is the best at driving out of all of us, probably because he's the only the one who has a car - except for Oli but he doesn't drive it much - and we all kind of turned him into our chaperon. Conor taught Jack how to drive, so surely he will be well-suited to pass his knowledge on.

I lean forward in the backseat, supporting myself with an arm across the back of her chair. "Nothing from you." She says, concentrating as she attempts to pull out on to the road. I chuckle quietly at her, resisting the urge to tell her when to drive.

I look so forward to seeing Ruby drawing, just so I can watch how she pouts her lip the tiniest bit while concentrating. Sometimes she does it when she is playing some kind of video game as well. Now her lip is sticking out a whole lot more as she attempts to calm herself.

Now, if we weren't in the middle of a highway with Ruby almost having an anxiety attack, I would've definitely bothered her in some way. Jack gives her small pointers every once in awhile and tells her stupid jokes in the middle, trying his best to keep her calm enough to not kill all of us.

The football field that we always go to isn't very far away, but I know telling Ruby that will do her no good. She's getting a bit better, though as Jack tells her something making her laugh. It makes me happy to hear her light laugh instead of the one I always hear. It's nice to know that it's something only I - and Caspar - get to really hear.