26.) the unhappy boyfriend

joe

I look at myself once more in the rear-view mirror, trying to not worry about the purple-color coming up around my left eye. I probably did deserve it, but it's something that I can't really worry about right now, because I've got to get Ruby back.

"How did she sleep last night?" I ask Alfie over the phone as I exit the car after paying the driver. I knew that they was no way Zoe would answer my call, so I just skipped her altogether and called up Alfie. I've been trying to get in touch with Ruby since last night, but just as I thought, she wouldn't answer.

"Not good. She woke up around one in the morning, and then again at two. I don't think she went back to sleep after that." Alfie informs me as I step up to their door. I wait for Alfie to come open it, too scared that if I buzz to get in, Zoe won't let me. I know how protective Zoe can be, especially over someone sad.

This is one of those scary moments where she won't pick her brother over someone else. She usually always has my back no matter what, but honestly, this time, I can't be mad at her for not picking me. Hopefully once I can tell Ruby what actually happened, both her and Zoe will forgive me. And the Maynards because I'm really quite scared of Jack right now.

When Alfie opens the door, I hang up the phone and thank him quickly. "As soon as you go upstairs, mate, you're going to get ambushed by Zoe." The younger boy says. I nod in agreement, but if I have to get through my sister to see Ruby, I'll do it. I've been in a lot of arguments with her in my twenty-five years, but she kind of scares me right now. How bad could it possibly be, though?

"I've got to get Nala outside for a bit, if you want to follow me up. I won't protect you from Zoe, though." I can't tell if it's meant to be a joke or not. I don't really know just how mad Zoe is, I just know that she, for sure, is angry.

I follow Alfie up the stairs to see Zoe pounding on her bedroom door. "Ruby, can you just let me inside?" Zoe begs before spotting me. "Actually, there's someone here to see you."

"If it's Joe, he can go fuck himself!" Ruby calls through the door.

"You're screwed." Alfie comments, patting my shoulder.

"Can you at least get Zoe away? I can deal with Ruby as long as she's on the other side of the door." I ask. It takes a little while, but eventually, my sister marches downstairs, following Alfie closely. I step up to the door and knock on it with my knuckle once.

"Ruby, babe?" I call through the door. I hear something slam into the door before she begins talking.

"Joe, prick?" She mocks, her voice coming from the very bottom of the door. I sit down and lean my back up on to the door, which has to be what she's doing.

"Can you let me in so we can talk?" I ask her.

"Nope. You're an asshole, and I hate you." She answers. Her voice isn't as angry as I thought it would be. It's more agitated than anything.

"You're a ray of sunshine, and I love you." I reply back. I can hear her scoff before giggling slightly.

"For fuck's sake, why are you always so nice to me?" She asks. "I'll listen, but I don't want to see you. I know I'll start feeling bad for you if I see your eye." I can't help but poke at the bruising parts of my eye. "How is it?"

"Just bruised really. It's a bit swollen." I tell her. The amount of concern in her voice completely surprises me. Honestly, if I was in her situation, I don't think that I would ask about an injury the other had. At least not with the past girlfriends I've had, but Ruby... I think I would have to. The thought of her being hurt would just absolute crush me. I would have to ask her. "Am I allowed to tell you what happened now?"