31.) bright blue suitcase

ruby

"Are planning on doing anything special?" Maddie asks me from where she lays in the middle Joe and I's bed.

"I don't know really. I want to spend hours at the beach, though." I answer her, zipping up the suitcase underneath me.

Maddie has been around the house for the past week. Caspar and her wanted as much time as they could possibly get together before he left for a week, so he invited her to stay around ours. At first, it was incredibly awkward. Anytime Maddie and I were within a couple yards of each other, tension grew and grew until one of us would crack and leave. The second night here, we had our first actual connection, and honestly, I could've have asked for a better one. I got up around three in the morning to grab a water from the kitchen and found Maddie sitting on the kitchen counters, eating ice cream straight out of the tub. When I asked her what was wrong, she simply told me that she couldn't sleep because she was having a bad dream. I have never connected or related to someone so fast. She doesn't have the disorder, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one that still struggles from nightmares.

I've tried to talk to Caspar and Joe about bringing the blonde along with us, but apparently Caspar has already tried to convince her once. She's really happy in London right now and doesn't want to leave. She's offered to stay at the apartment while we are out.

"The sand and sea. I miss Mumbai. That's somewhere you really need to look in to going." The blonde says as I stand up to lay next to her on my back. Caspar had to cut their Mumbai trip short after Regina called and told him I was coming.

"I really want to go to South Africa. Going through the Cango Caves is on my bucket list." I say, knowing that I don't actually have a bucket list; I just really want to go, and that's a good excuse.

"Joe's already been there, but Caspar hasn't. I don't think he really wants to, though." I know Joe has been through them. It was one of the first vlogs of his I ever watched. The night I spent at Zoe and Alfie's was filled of maybe an hour or so of sleep and probably close to nine hours of ThachterJoeVlogs. As mad as I was at him, I still missed him. The only way I could go to sleep was to hear him talking.

"I'm surprised Joe went through, you know, with his claustrophobia." I answer. She nods, pulling at the chain around her neck. "The car's almost here."

"I probably need to go find Caspar, then." She answers, standing from the bed to walk over into Caspar's room. I only said we are on better terms, not that everything is perfect for us. We'll get there eventually. At least there's not a lot of tension anytime we are together anymore.

"Are you about ready, babe?" I hear Joe say. I crane my neck to see him standing by the door.

"Yeah. I've just got that one." I say, pointing to the blue suitcase that I was just recently sitting on top of.

"That's yours?" He asks, looking puzzled.

"It's Maddie's, actually. The zipper on one of mine broke, and I can't find the other to save my life. She let me take hers, and she's just going to use my broken one to keep her stuff in until we get back." I explain, standing from the bed to approach him. "I feel like I should be saying goodbye."

"Why?" He asks cautiously. His eyes become slightly scared as he waits for me to answer.

"I felt like the only way I was ever going to get out of here was on a one-ticket back to America. I've had enough money for it since I've been here. I was planning on always having enough money that if it ever came down to it, I would be able to board the next flight and go back to Regina." I tell him, cupping his cheek. "I don't think I'm going to need a ticket to runaway with anymore."