34.) joe's first night run

joe

I sit with one arm across the back of the sofa behind Regina, and my other hand runs through Ruby's hair from where her head lays on my lap. Caspar sits on the other side of Regina, leaning against her while his feet dangle over the arm. The sofa is really big for only Regina living here. Ruby said that she's replaced a lot of the furniture since left, including the sofa. It used to be only a small two-seat one, but this one fits four - probably five people if Ruby wasn't laying down.

On the television is an eighties movie I've watched more in the past four months than I have in my entire life. The Breakfast Club is one of Ruby's all-time favorite movies, and she watches it every chance she gets. She even watched it on the flight over to LA a few days ago.

It's been raining for the past two days, so we've spent a lot of time in the house like we were't even on vacation. I usually sat at Ruby's desk, and Ruby would sit on her bed playing video games. Caspar and Regina were spending a lot of time together, catching up and talking about really anything they could. I hadn't realized how much Caspar has actually missed his cousin until now.

"It's dark outside." Ruby breaks the silence in the room. "It's almost stopped raining, too." She leans up to look at Regina for a small second.

"No. Ruby, we're getting too old for this." The blonde answers. I give her a small look as she stands up, causing Caspar to fall slightly, almost hitting Ruby before he catches himself. My girlfriend gets up, picking my hoodie up from the other end of the couch as she continues to plead to Regina. "Oh, you're going to be the death of me." She answers dramatically.

"Wait, what is happening?" Caspar says as Regina picks up the car keys. "Oh, my God. Are you talking about a fucking night run?"

"What is a night run?" I ask, completely confused by the entire situation. Ruby pulls me off the couch as Caspar laughs at Regina's reaction.

"No, you're not allowed to know." Caspar says as Ruby starts to say something to me. "I didn't get to know the first time you took me out."

"Okay, fine." Ruby rolls her eyes at him in exaggeration. "Go put on some jeans and grab a jacket. Also, can you bring me to blue backpack hanging up on my closet?" She turns to me. I nod and head down the hallway. I pass Regina's room to find her sifting through her closet. She pulls out a backpack similar to one that Ruby wants.

Trading out my track bottoms for jeans, I grab the jacket that Ruby stole from Caspar. The sleeves are long on me, just like they are on Ruby. I take the backpack from the hook on her closet door. While walking down the hallway, I peek inside to see a sketchbook, flashlight, and camera.

"He's going to be so freaked out." Ruby giggles before catching sight of me in her peripheral. Honestly, I'm already kind of freaked out about what is happening and what is going to happen. I've never heard anything about a 'night run', and I've heard a lot about Ruby's life over here.

"Do you still stop for food?" Caspar asks as I stand next to Ruby as she rummages through the backpack. She takes out the sketchbook and lays it on the table. She screams the question that Caspar asked down the hallway to Regina, and she answers but in a very incoherent way.

"Yes, we are." She answers him before turning to me. "You might want to vlog this. It's pretty cool." She tells me before picking up the camera from the bag. She tries to turn it on, and when it doesn't, she sits it next to the sketchbook on the coffee table.

"I haven't been on one of these in forever." Caspar says.

"Yeah, because the first one I brought you along on, you kissed me, so I was scared to bring you around anymore." Ruby responds as Regina comes down the hallway.