19.) ink

ruby

I pull Joe inside as he talks about needing to be somewhere else. "No, no, no. You said you'd get me anything I wanted." I say to him as we near the small dark counter.

The man that sits behind it is huge, with tattoos running from his neck down. He's got multiple face piercings, and I can actually feel Joe becoming uncomfortable by the minute. "I don't recommend getting couple's tattoos. I've got a few myself that I've covered up." The guy says, his voice extremely low and raspy.

"Actually, he's too scared to get a tattoo." I answer before Joe can protest. "It's just me today."

"I'll come get you in a second." He grunts before walking through a large open doorway behind him.

"Do not get anything that has to do with me tattooed anywhere on your body, alright?" Joe says. I've already chosen what I'm getting, and there's no way he is going to change my mind.

"Why not?" I ask him anyways, crossing my arms in front of me. Joe leans against the wall as he begins answering.

"I know that if you get my name or something tattooed on your body, something is going to happen to us. Your stupid paranoia rubbed off on me." He says. I did used to think that we would have issues when he told everyone. Sure enough, we had that fight, but it dissolved shortly in to nothing.

"Well, I mean, I could get 'R U Crazy' tattooed on me." I tease him. I love taunting him with Conor, only because he knows it's harmless.

"Feel free to get my face tattooed on you." He jokes before the guy waves me forward.

"I'll see you soon, unless you want to come back with me?" I offer, knowing that his answer will ultimately be no, because of his fear of needles.

"You know, I'm good out here." He says, nodding his head. He claps my shoulder gently before I turn to follow the large guy.

~

"So, what did you get?" Joe asks as we leave the small building. I grab his hands as we begin walking down the small strip of sidewalk.

"You'll see in a few hours." I respond. From my three tattoos, I have deduced that you have to leave a bandage on for about four hours, just to be certain. The first time they told me six hours. The next one was two hours, and then they told me four hours. I've never removed a bandage before four hours, even when they told me it was okay to.

"Where did you get it?" He questions as he texts someone on his phone with his free hand. He said that he texted Conor for a ride when I first got out.

I lift my shirt to show him the bandage taped to my hip bone. When I originally thought of the idea for the tattoo, it took me forever to decide where to get it. I've been thinking about a new tattoo for a while, but I didn't know when I was going to be able to get it.

I finger the pendant of my new necklace that hangs right below my bust. It's a small circle that has small wires twisting and winding around each other in the middle. In some places there is a small faux ruby twined in. The pendant hangs on a black leather string that slightly irritates the back of my neck, but there's no way I won't wear it since it's my gift from Regina.

For the eight birthdays that I've been around Regina, she has always given me something with rubies on it. Sometimes it wasn't like my actual present, and she would buy me something else, even though she didn't have to.

I see Conor's Mercedes-Benz down the road a bit and point it out to Joe. "I think Oli's with him." I say, spotting someone in the passenger seat who has the same build as Oli. I stop a few feet from the car and turn Joe around to look at me. "You didn't do anything, did you?" I ask him for at least the third time today.