ceremony

“There all set.” The hair dresser said and dropped a long rectangular white cloth on Maggie’s head.

Her hair was put into a big bun, decorated in flowers that smelt divine. A long, single, chain with a small flower patterned pendant, was dangling in the middle of her forehead; the chain disappeared in her hair and was secured by multiple pins. The pendant twinkled under the sunlight that came from the window and her golden stands gave per an angelic look.

Her makeup was to its minimal; white liner filled her waterline,

Her white outfit fit her perfectly and added definition to her pure love she feels for Ashwin.

She stood up and twirled to give us a show, the twinkle in her eyes were similar to the endless sky filled with millions of stars that illuminated and brought color to the sky.

I sighed and smiled warmly at her, while watching her glee and give a million watt smile that electrocuted its power through all of us.

I was overwhelmed and the happiness over flowed as tears of joy filled my eyes.

“You look beautiful.” I said softly and touched her shoulder in a comforting way.

“Thank you.” She beamed and turned side by side.

“Oh! Honey, you look so beautiful..” Maggie’s mom, Sofia, said in awe and kissed her daughter’s cheek. I smiled at that and hugged her mom, comfortingly. She cried a little in glee and kissed my cheek.

“It’s time.” I said while looking at the watch.

Ashwin’s family has kept an assigned time for the marriage; they call that time ‘mahurat’, in which the stars are more favorable, they say the marriages last longer and are stronger as the they have their gods approval.

I find it quite surprising, how they praise and follow their religion. I on the other hand not so much, I have faith in god but I don’t follow that whole heartedly.

We all hurried out of the parlor and securely, trying not to put creases on her dress, in the car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we arrived where the wedding ceremony was taking place, the whole place was crowded and smelt of flower and a smell that almost made me gag.

The ceremony was taking place at a temple; long stairs reached the main temple and a small river running along with it.

It was beautiful to say the least but smelt musky and really strong that made my head spin, not in a good way.

The temple was archaic, with different designs and patterns carved on the brownish concrete. Flags, on the top of the temple, were flying attached to the top of the pole. It gave a haunted vibe, to me, and I didn’t dare voice my thoughts, in order to offend them.

We walked, carefully, up the stairs and stood and admired he area above the stairs; it was all filled with people and sadhus, long marbled floor and few plants that were worshiped.

In the front was a heavy roof, helped by huge pillar, which stood proud and screamed its history, so old and so strong.

It was a miracle it did not crumble long ago.

It was a definition of ‘old is gold’.

Walking further we were greeted by the familiar people, Ashwin’s mom and dad, Shushmita, Xavier, who looked hot in kurta and shalwar, Neeha and many more.

But the person that stood in the middle was Ashwin, who had a goofy smile on his face and was looking and Maggie so lovingly, he had that puppy love look in his eyes and it was a miracle that he did not rush towards Maggie and kissed her  senseless.