Chapter Three

Elisabete took her time walking to the palace. She knew her punishment was awaiting her there. The anger that Loki conveyed was unlike any she'd ever seen. Never had her king been so cruel towards her. He always treated her kindly and with respect. She knew she was favored above the other maids. This led her to believe that her punishment would be far worse than any other he had given to the other maids. He would either cut back on their salary, or make them work into the night and not paying them for their extra work. Elisabete prayed that her punishment would be the same, but, deep down, she knew it would be arrantly different.

She prayed for someone to cross paths with her on the road to the palace so they could take her mind off of things. Her prayer was answered in the form of Edric, however, Elisabete did not take this as her prayer being answered. He was wearing his best clothes and appeared to have groomed himself. His hair was neatly combed on his head and his face was clear of all the dirt. He towered above Elisabete and smiled brightly as he walked in front of her, causing her to stop in her steps. His smile quickly faded and she took note of the cold expression on his face. She chuckled nervously as she moved to his side and gave him a look with her wide eyes as he stepped to his side.

"What do you want?" Elisabete inquired.

"Why are you going in to work today?" Edric retorted.

"It is my work. I will be punished if I do not go in, Edric." Elisabete replied.

"Why are you going in to work today...after the way he treated you last night?" Edric asked her.

"You saw us?" Elisabete gasped.

"I saw him as he dragged you by your arm towards your house. I saw how he threw you to the ground as if you were some toy a child has grown bored with. I heard the way he spoke to you. Now, you see what he's really like, yet you still follow him blindly, like a pig to the slaughterhouse." Edric explained to her.

"Our king saved me from being attacked by two burly men, I'll have you know." Elisabete retorted angrily.

"He is not my king and he never will be. You know most of this village has still kept faith to the late king. Your family will not be allowed into Valhalla because of this when Ragnarok comes for us. When will you see that he is an animal just waiting to attack? He's a horrible, vile man who has done nothing for our realm." Edric seethed.

"He has done everything for this realm! He's made it better since the late king passed. I am loyal to my king because I am grateful for everything that he's done for this realm. He is nothing but a good man and I will defend him and stay by his side until my very last breath. There is nothing that you, or anyone else, can say that will make me change my faith. Now, I must be off to work." Elisabete explained to Edric as she began to storm off.

"What punishment will await you there, Elisabete?" Edric called out to her.

Elisabete stopped in her tracks and turned to face him, glaring at him.

"What?" Elisabete asked.

"I also heard him say he'd administer a punishment on you when you returned. Won't you be afeard of what's to come when you step foot into the palace?" Edric retorted.

"No, I will not. I will take my punishment with glad tidings. I went against my king's word last night and I will take my punishment like any other person in this realm. Good day, Edric." Elisabete explained.

She stormed down the path and Edric followed after her.

"He's going to hurt you." Edric told her.

"Then I deserve it." Elisabete said.

"You did nothing wrong last night." Edric sighed.

"Yes, I did." Elisabete huffed.