Chapter Nine

Elisabete pulled back from Edric's embrace and smiled weakly as he kissed her cheek. He gathered his things and thanked her parents for giving their blessing, reassuring them that he would make a good husband for their beloved daughter.

"Thank you so much for this. I will treat Elisabete with the utmost respect anyone could give her. You will not have to worry about her when she moves out." Edric explained.

Elisabete was about to protest when her mother cut her off.

"We trust that you will be good to her. We have known your family for some time now. Besides, you will want your privacy in the first few months of your marriage." She beamed.

"Now, we must make the preparations for the marriage." Her father added.

"I will come by tomorrow to discuss it with you." Edric told them.

"But I am working tomorrow, Edric. I won't be here." Elisabete scoffed.

"Do not worry, my love," Her father chimed in. "Your mother and I know your likes and dislikes. We can make all the arrangements for you so you do not have to worry about another thing on your mind. We are aware that you are busy in the palace and busy taking care of us."

"Yes, but I would like to have some say in my own wedding." Elisabete chuckled lightly.

"You can leave it to us, Elisabete. You have nothing to worry about. In fact, we'll let you pick the date. How does that sound?" Her mother inquired.

"That sounds wonderful." Elisabete replied.

And it did sound wonderful to her. In her eyes, she held the most power in the planning of the wedding. She could pick a date years from now, or a date in less than a few days. She could keep postponing her own wedding to try and come to terms with what was going to happen to her. Edric said his goodbyes and kissed Elisabete's cheek before exiting the house. Tadeus stood at the front door and pushed it open, causing the door to swing around and slam into the side of the house. Edric jumped upon hearing the bang and chuckled nervously as he bowed his head and scurried down the steps and towards his own home. Elisabete cleaned off the table and wished her parents a good night before making her way to her own bedroom. Before she could open the door, Tadeus gripped her wrist and glared down at her.

"What were you thinking?" Tadeus grimaced.

"I had no other choice, Tadeus. No other man would want to marry me. If I am to be stuck in this position for the rest of my life, I might as well accept it. Edric is a good man." Elisabete explained.

"Elisabete, he loathes the king. His family secretly supports the late king. How could you do this? What could have possibly made you say yes to a man like him?" Tadeus angrily questioned her.

"He can offer me a better life than this." Elisabete exhaled sharply.

"What do you mean by that?" Tadeus asked her.

"Do you like the work you do? Do you enjoy having to help father and mother simply get out of bed just to move their legs so don't develop sores? Do you enjoy having to feed them because they can barely move their owns arms? Do you enjoy having to stand by and watch as they get worse and worse, wondering when the day will come that they'll die? You cannot stand there and tell me you do. I'll know it's a lie, Tadeus. With him, I'll be living in a new home, starting my own family. I'll have them to care for, not our parents. I'm sick of this life, Tadeus. Just as sick with it as mother and father are. Yes, I am aware that he despises my king, who I love dearly, but-"

"I'd say you love him a little bit more dearly than you let on." Tadeus interjected.

Elisabete's eyes widened at his statement and she twisted the doorknob to open her door. She gasped as Tadeus gripped the knob and slammed the door shut.