Chapter Forty-Seven

As the months went by, Elisabete and Loki had adjusted to their new lives. They somehow seemed happier than before. She was starting to trust him more and more but was still hesitant to leave Adelina in his care. Whenever her family came to visit, Loki was sure to hide himself in their bedroom as not to disturb them. One day when her family had come over, Iona was cooking them a meal as Elisabete was in the bedroom changing into the clothes her mother had made for her. Elisabete had left behind her maternity dresses and as her belly grew larger, most of her clothes did not seem to fit as well as they used. She struggled to tie the lace in the back of her dress and groaned as she arched her back, losing her grip on the string. She let out a sigh and furrowed her brow seeing Loki stand from the chair and walk towards her.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"I'm helping you into your dress." Loki replied.

"You don't have to just because I'm struggling. I can do it." Elisabete scoffed.

"That's exactly what you said when you were pregnant with Adelina," He chuckled. "Besides, I want to."

He got behind her and Elisabete crossed her arms over her chest as she did her best not to smile as he laced up the dress as best he could without it being too tight. When he had finished, her body stiffened as he laid his hands on either side of her belly. He quickly pulled his hands away and swallowed hard as she turned to face him.

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

She inhaled sharply and looked down at her belly before looking back up at him. She took his hands in hers and laid them back on her belly. At five months, she was larger than most. There were a few small kicks and Loki chuckled not being able to comprehend why she would allow him to feel it. He slowly removed his hands and walked back over to the chair. She furrowed her brow and put her head down, thinking of what to say.

"Why don't you come out and eat with us tonight?" She asked.

"You know why." He replied, glaring at her.

"I'm sure it will be alright with them if you came and ate with us." She told him.

"Not with your brother. I will stay here and eat when they leave. That is how we planned it and how I wanted it." Loki explained.

"Please, come eat with us. I enjoy your company." She stated.

" know you do, but they don't. It's better this way, Elisabete. Spend time with your family and have a good time. Then we can go to bed together." He told her.

She walked over to Loki and laid a quick kiss to his cheek before leaving the room. She walked into the kitchen and sat down at the table as they all gathered around to eat. As they were eating, Tadeus put his utensils down and stared over Elisabete's shoulder.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

She turned around and her eyes widened seeing Loki standing in the hallway.

"I thought you were staying in the bedroom." She whispered.

"It gets lonely in there. And you said you enjoy my company so why should I deprive you of it." Loki told her.

He pulled up a chair at the table and sat down next to Elisabete. It was painfully quiet as he looked around at her family. He then looked directly at Tadeus and gave him a smile as he saw him clench his fork. He put some food on his plate and began to eat prompting everyone else to join in. After dinner was finished, they moved into the small living area and began to converse with one another. Loki stayed seated next to Elisabete. He reached for her hand and she quickly placed her hands in her lap away from him.