Chapter Twenty

Loki quickly look at Elisabete and walked towards her. She knew she had made a mistake. He was going to call her a liar like he did all the others. He was going to hate her and fire her, costing her, and her family, their lives. His calm expression confused Elisabete as he advanced towards her. He took her hands in his and caressed the skin softly before looking over his shoulder at Sanit.

"Is it true?" Loki asked.

Elisabete furrowed her brow as she took a step back from him, pulling her hands from his. Sanit chuckled nervously as she shook her head.

"Why would Faust be Thor's child? I've never slept with Thor. I-I've been faithful to you. You know this." Sanit told him.

Elisabete inhaled sharply as she felt Loki squeeze her wrists as he glared down at her. She looked down at the floor and whimpered as Loki gripped her neck, forcing her to look up at him. His nostrils flared as he stared her down.

"You better explain yourself...girl." Loki seethed.

Elisabete swallowed the lump in her throat and cowered as the grip on her neck didn't loosen.

"I have proof." Elisabete spoke meekly.

Loki released his grip on her and took a step back, furrowing his brow and scoffing in disbelief. Sanit cackled as she shook her head and walked towards her.

"What proof could you possibly have?" Sanit inquired.

Elisabete raised a brow at Sanit and Loki watched as Sanit's eyes widened in the realization of Elisabete's glance. Loki gasped in shock as Elisabete and Sanit sprinted out of the room. He chased after them and none of them cared for the stares and whispers that the servants and maids gave them. Sanit pushed past the maids in her way as Elisabete dodged them. Loki called out to the women to stop, but neither listened to him. Sanit held onto her dress to keep from tripping as she gained on Elisabete. She managed to reach Sanit's chambers and quickly opened the door before Sanit could lunge at her. She rushed towards her writing desk, searching for the letter. Sanit ran in after her and thrashed at Elisabete as she tried to grab the letter.

"You little bitch! You went through my belongings!" Sanit yelled at her.

The contorted and crazed look on Sanit's face frightened Elisabete, never having seen anyone as mad at her as Sanit was. Sanit exclaimed in pain as Loki gripped her shoulders and threw her to the floor off of Elisabete.

"You don't touch her!" Loki growled.

Elisabete found the letter and handed it to Loki as Sanit picked herself up from the ground and lunged for the paper. Loki took a step back but that didn't stop her. He quickly grabbed Elisabete's arm and pulled her to him before casting a spell, causing Sanit's legs to stay in place. She tried her hardest to to move and cried out in frustration as she glared at the two of them.

"What have you done! Let me go!" Sanit yelled.

"You shut your mouth, Sanit." Loki snapped.

Sanit kept quiet, knowing that she had nothing left to lose. He was going to read the letter and find out the truth. Loki looked over the letter and as he read through it, he felt his world come crashing down around him. The color from his face drained as his hand trembled, hoping that was written was false. When he finished it, he swallowed the bile in his throat and crumpled the letter in his hand as his nostrils flared.

"Loki..." Sanit trailed off.

"Don't...say a word to me." Loki told her.

"Let me explain myself." Sanit chuckled nervously.