Chapter Forty-One

Elisabete held his hand tightly as she heard the footsteps grow closer and heavier.

"Don't be afraid. When it comes down to our trial, I'll plead with Odin to spare you. After all, you were innocent in this and I deceived you because of your good nature." Loki told her.

"I don't need your pity. You used my kindness against me and I will not have you fight for me. I can handle myself when I am up on the stand. It is you who should be worried about where you will stand after this." Elisabete explained to him.

Loki looked up at her, not knowing what to say and just simply nodded. He was delighted to see Elisabete taking a stand for herself, but hated that it was against him. Before he could say another word, Eir opened the doors and led the guards inside. The few that were there filed into the room and stepped aside to allow Thor and Odin in. Upon entering, Thor was confused to see Elisabete sitting by Loki's side.

"Elisabete, I allowed you to be spared. WHy have you not left?" He inquired.

"My family and daughter are away and safe from harm. But as Asgard's queen, I must stay and fight. I am no coward and I will stand by my husband's side during this time." She told him.

"You are aware that this means you too will be tried for treason if you stay?" Odin asked.

"I am and I am fully capable of defending myself." Elisabete replied.

Odin smiled weakly, seeing how she held her head up high. It pleased him to know that the new queen reminded him of Frigga in many ways.

"And you know that the consequence, if found guilty, will be death." Odin stated.

He did not form his statement as a question because he already knew his answer.

"Yes." She replied.

"Well, for the time being, you two will be held in the cells of the prison until we are ready to bring you to trial. There is much needed clean up efforts to get this palace looking the way it used to." Odin explained to her.

"Separately or together?" She inquired.

This question caught everyone off guard. Odin had furrowed his brow and Thor felt his heart ache seeing the horrified look on Loki's face as he snapped his head up at Elisabete.

"Since it appears you do not wish to be near him, as punishment for now, you will be kept in a cell together. Besides, he needs someone to car after his wounds and Eir and the other healers will have their hands full with the victims of this riot." Odin replied.

"That is fair." Elisabete stated.

Odin ordered the guards to take Elisabete Loki down to the prisons. They were about to grab him when Elisabete swatted her hands at them.

"He is injured. He can get up himself without you possibly injuring him further." She told them.

As she helped him to sit up, Eir came into the room with a small bag filled with more bandages and ointment for Elisabete to use on him. Once he was standing, the two walked out together with the guards behind them. He reached for her hand and smiled weakly as her hand accepted him. She had expected many court members who remained in the palace to be out in the hallways just to yell at them, but the halls were empty and clearly ruined by what took place. In fact, she was glad that no one was there because she didn't know how much more rejection and hate Loki could endure.

The walk down the steps to the prisons frightened Elisabete. She had always been told this is where the truly horrible, frightening, and treacherous men and women were sent to. She knew that she was not like any of them but the whole realm would see her as one, just because she loved a man who was like the others. Never in all her years did she ever think she would be brought here. Loki could sense her nerves and squeezed her hand, letting her know that he was going to be with her every step of the way. In that moment, she hated him more than ever. He was the reason she was here and she wanted him to pay for what he'd done. When she would be on trial, she would explain to them how he should be punished and what should be done with him. In her heart, she knew he didn't deserve to die, but she would make his life a living hell until the day he died if she had the chance.