Chapter Thirty-Six

The following morning, Elisabete woke to Adelina crying on the top of her lungs. She quietly hushed her as she took the squirming girl into her arms, rocking her gently as not to upset her anymore. She quickly unbuttoned her dress and chuckled as Adelina immediately went to suckle on her breast.

"That's it. You were just hungry, weren't you? Awe, it's all better now isn't it? After you eat, we're going to have clean you up, diaper and all." Elisabete whispered.

While Adelina was feeding, Loki had walked in and he smiled seeing Elisabete's face light up. He noticed that the color was slowly coming back to her face and she seemed much livelier. He paced towards the bed and sat down on the edge of it, kissing her sweetly before looking down at Adelina.

"I didn't expect you to be up this early." Elisabete commented.

"I had trouble sleeping last night." Loki told her.

"Why?" She inquired.

"Well, it was the first time in a long time I went to bed without you by my side and it was impossible for me to fall asleep. When you're by my side, I feel safe and loved. Without you, it's just an empty, cold space...and I don't like feeling that way." He explained to her.

"Soon enough I will return to our bed." Elisabete stated.

As Loki ran his hands through her hair, she thought of how to bring up the topic of the priest. She knew he would most likely not know what she was talking about, but it was worth the try for her.

"Loki?" She asked.

"Yes?" He retorted as he kept his eyes on Adelina.

"I have something to tell you." She replied.

Loki quickly glanced up at her and furrowed his brow as he saw the solemn look on her face.

"My dear love, what is it?" He inquired.

"It's nothing serious. Do not be alarmed," She started to tell him. "It's just that during the week of my honeymoon with Edric, I came across this priest. I never got his name yet he knew what mine was even though I had not mentioned it. He spoke to me in the same way that you and Ugo have been for some time, saying I am stronger than I seem and I will achieve great things. I was wondering if you knew who he was."

"What did he look like?" Loki asked her.

"He was very old. He had gray hair, a long beard, and these piercing eyes. When I went to ask him how he knew my name, he just vanished even though he had been behind me the whole time." Elisabete replied.

"I'm sorry but I have no idea who he is. He was one of your priests?" He told her.

"No, he was the priest at Iona's church. I went to them because they were more understanding than my own. When I told her about it, she told me that the priest that worked there had only been there ten years and was not an old man." Elisabete explained.

"What did he say to you exactly?" Loki inquired.

"Nothing bad. He just said that I was stronger than what I seemed. He said I should open myself up and that he saw bigger and better things in my future. He was right." Elisabete replied.

"That is strange. You say he never gave you his name?" Loki sighed.

"No. Yet, he knew mine. I swear on my life I never told him." Elisabete spoke.

Moments later, before Loki could say anything, Iona entered the room with Eir. The two turned to face them and Elisabete smiled brightly.

"I think it is time you two learned to bathe and change Adelina." Eir grinned.