Chapter Ten

Elisabete entered the chambers and smiled weakly upon seeing Sanit leaning against the headboard of her bed with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Where would you like me to put the tray own, my lady?" Elisabete asked.

"Given that your king has stated I rest for the entirety of the day, I suggest you set it down in my lap." Sanit snapped at her.

Elisabete nodded her head and walked over to Sanit. She gently laid the tray in her lap and before she could leave, Sanit gripped Elisabete's wrist tightly, her knuckles turning white. Elisabete's eyes widened in fear as she looked down at Sanit's glaring eyes.

"My lady, you're hurting me." Elisabete whimpered.

"You did a good job to follow my advice." Sanit told her.

"What?" Elisabete gasped.

"You are to be married, is that correct?" Sanit retorted.

"Yes, my lady, that's true." Elisabete replied.

"Do you love the man you're marrying?" Sanit questioned her.

"My lady, that is not something I can-"

"I asked you a question, girl! Do you love him!" Sanit exclaimed.

Elisabete snatched her hand from Sanit's grasp and rubbed the skin trying to ease the pain she felt. Sanit glared at her as Elisabete looked down at her wrist. She swallowed the lump in her throat and slowly shook her head.

"No." Elisabete replied.

"So you did follow my advice. Good girl. You'd be stupid to allow love into your heart." Sanit told her.

"He's a good man, my lady. He loves me." Elisabete added.

"You chose wisely to marry a man who loves you. Now, he'll do anything you want...just for you." Sanit scoffed.

Elisabete took a few steps back from the bed and looked over at Sanit as she began to eat her lunch.

"How did you know of my marriage, my lady?" Elisabete asked.

"Your king told me about it. Now, are you going watch me eat or get the Hel out of here?" Sanit snapped at her.

"Of course. I'm sorry, my lady." Elisabete spoke softly as she hurried out of the room.

She closed the doors behind her and made her way to the maid's quarters. She entered her station and sat down on the bench, crying softly as she massaged her wrist, seeing the bruise already begin to form. She tried to catch her breath as she heard a noise nearby. Elisabete stood from the bench and tried to make herself look presentable before exiting her station. As she turned around, she gasped and jumped back when she saw Loki standing in the doorway. He kept his eyes on hers as she furrowed her brow at him, wondering why he was there in the first place.

"My king, what brings you here?" Elisabete inquired.

"I don't know really." Loki replied.

His eyes then noticed the movement on her hands and he looked down, quickly noting the bruise forming on her wrist. He rushed towards her and gently held her soft hand in his. He ran his fingers over the bruise and Elisabete winced as he turned her hand over so her palm was facing up. Loki furrowed his brow as he looked up at her, trying to figure out how she had gotten this injury.

"What happened?" Loki inquired.

"If I say, you will not believe me, my king." Elisabete replied.

"Tell me what happened." Loki ordered.

"My lady gripped my wrist too tightly when I gave her her food." Elisabete told him.