Chapter 5

For her first class, Lucy had Care of Magical Creatures. As she looked at the gathering crowd she realized that neither Luna, Hermione, Harry, or Ron had this class, or not at the same time as her at least.

Hagrid led the students through the woods into a clearing that was illuminated by the radiant sunlight.

"Alright, gather over there and open your books to page 49." Hagrid instructed.

Lucy started to flip through the pages when she heard a girl ask "How are we even supposed to open the books?" It was only then that Lucy noticed the other's difficulty with their books. Her book gave her no trouble at all.

"Stroke the spine of course." Hagrid replied as if it was obvious, and to him it probably was. After everyone had turned to page 49 Hagrid brought the students to attention. "Isn't he beautiful? Say hello to Buckbeak."

"Isn't that a Hippogriff?" Sanner, a Ravenclaw boy inquired.

"That's right." Hagrid then continued explaining, "Now, the first thing you need to know about a Hippogriff is that they're very proud creatures. Very easily offended. You do not want to insult a Hippogriff, it may just be the last thing you ever do. Now then, Sanner, why don't you come say hello."

Sanner turned pale. "I..I'd rather not."

"I will." Lucy volunteered, the poor boy looked frightened out of his wits, but Lucy was familiar with this type of creature. Narnians had a different name for them. Prouders. Called so after their proud nature. They considered themselves above all other animals, (even though they couldn't talk) and only beneath the Kings and Queens of Narnia as well as Aslan when it came to social class.

Lucy stood tall and with all the elegance of the queen she was, slowly approached the Prouder.

"Now, you have to let him make the first move. So you'll bow, wait, and see if he bows back. If he does then you can go touch him, if not, well, we'll get to that later."

When Lucy judged that she was at the proper distance she made a slight bow, just as she would if she was in Narnia. Hagrid began to tell her to bow lower when Buckbeak returned it with a deep bow.

Lucy smiled and straightened herself back up.

"Go ahead and pet him now."

Lucy steadily got closer to the Prouder, (Hippogriff if you prefer) without difficulty.

"You can ride him now." Hagrid proclaimed as he hoisted her onto Buckbeak's back.

"Don't pull out any of his feathers cause he won't thank you for that." Hagrid declared and he smacked Buckbeak's behind. The proud creature rushed forward and took off, into the clear, blue sky.

It was incredible! The view of the grounds was amazing. It had been forever since she had flown on a Prouder's back. Lucy felt a pang at the thought of her home and her Narnian friends but brushed the sorrow away as Buckbeak landed back on the ground.