Chapter 10

Lucy stared up at the ceiling. She was laying on the couch within her dad's living quarters. The couch and been made into a bed with a pillow and a thick blanket. She was much more comfortable than her fellow Gryffindors who were sleeping on the floor of the Great Hall.

To her left was a crackling fire, and to her right was a door that adjoined the room she was in to one of her father's studies. Her dad was at his desk in the room to the right, doing paperwork. Some of the light from the study spilled into the living room that served as Lucy's bedchamber for the night, but that wasn't enough light to keep Lucy from drifting off to sleep. No, what was keeping Lucy awake was her undying curiosity.

______________________________________________________

Severus set down his quill and glanced into the other room. Lucy was laying on the couch, her face was obscured from view, so there was no way to be certain, but he presumed she was asleep. Although he believed the students sleeping in the Great Hall were quite safe, he felt more comfortable having Lucy near him.

Then there was the fact that Lupin was likely aiding Sirius Black who had entered Hogwarts undetected, even with all of Hogwarts' security measures and the dementors surrounding the grounds. Such a feat was impossible without aid, and Severus suspected that Remus Lupin was the one who did so.

Severus glanced up again only to see Lucy standing in the doorway in light blue pj's. He looked at her questioningly. Lucy padded over to him and seated herself in his lap. Severus was surprised to say the least, but when he wrapped his arm around Lucy he found that having her wrapped in his arms was quite comfortable.

"Dad," Lucy began, "How did you know Sirius Black?" Severus' arms tightened and Lucy quickly added, "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

"Tension has always been high between Slytherin and Gryffindor. When I was a student at Hogwarts I was sorted into Slytherin. Remus Lupin, James Potter, and Sirius Black were all sorted into Gryffindor. They made my life...terrible. Pulling pranks, teasing, and the like."

"That's horrible! What bullies!" Lucy exclaimed and embraced him into a tight hug.

"And then he killed one of my dearest friends,

__________________________________

Severus awoke the next morning to find Lucy snuggled in his arms, and a smile spread across his lips. The only emotion he felt, was love. Love from his daughter, and love for his daughter.