Chapter 18

Saturday 12:58

Lucy reached the fencing club's building to see it set up with the blue square cushions along the walls and the large mat in the enter, just like last year, except there was one difference, or rather two things that were different from last year. Last year there was a desk and chair in the corner of the room so McGonagall could do paperwork while the fencing club members did their own thing. This year there was no desk, and no Professor McGonagall. Instead, in Professor McGonagall's place, was Professor Grey, who stood with his back against the wall, quietly observing the students.

Lucy nodded to him in greeting, which he returned with a nod of his own, before sitting beside Ginny, who was going to be joining the fencing club. When the clock struck one Professor Grey began.

"Welcome to the first day of fencing club. I understand that last year Professor McGonagall was the overseer of this club and that the year before Professor Stavish was in charge. Would anyone care to share how each of them taught sword fighting?"

Jeffery Naaz, the boy that was rather rude and seriously underestimated her last year, but now respected her even thought he was now a 4th year Slytherin, and she, a 3rd year Gryffindor, spoke.

"Professor Stavish would start out the year by assessing the new member's skill before placing them in levels. He would then teach one person from each level a new skill or tactic, which that person would then teach to the others in their level.

"Professor McGonagall did her own thing while Rafal Radcliff, a 7th year Ravenclaw acted in as Professor Stavish." Jeffery Naaz finished explaining.

The solemn teacher nodded. "This year will be different. I will not 'do my own thing' while you 'do your thing' nor will I follow Stavish's methods."

Someone scoffed. "Professor Stavish's methods were the best! Do you even know a thing about fencing?"

"It isn't the wisest thing to jump to conclusions, however, if you truly believe that I know nothing of swordplay, we can duel." The Ancient Runes Professor proposed.

The girl that scoffed didn't stand, but a boy that looked way too much like her to not be her brother did. Professor Grey and the boy both selected mock swords and readied themselves on the mat. Their prop swords struck each other, the two pushed their weapons that had clashed, each trying to overpower the other. An instant later the boy was laying on his back. The new fencing master had won, the match was over.

The defeated boy's sister, however, was most certainly not done. She grabbed a wooden sword and swung it at the professor from behind, only to fall on top of her unsuspecting brother as Professor Grey sidestepped her attack.

"Would anyone else like to try?" the new sword fighting master invited the students. After easily disarming a few fencing club members, eager to have a go at fencing after the long summer, the teacher boldly declared,

"There's no need to go one at a time."

The students excitedly went at him in groups, only to still be easily defeated. Lucy carefully observed all this, her mind connecting dots, fitting the puzzle pieces, until it clicked. Of course! Why hadn't she figured it out before? Lucy calmly picked up a practice sword and joined the fray.

Her strikes were precise and well-aimed, it wasn't long before she had defeated all her opponents, who had been any who had neared her, and only she and the new fencing overseer were left standing.

Lucy raised her eyebrow in question. "Perhaps after we've both rested." He answered the unspoken question of whether or not they were going to duel.

Professor Grey glanced at the clock and decided, "On Wednesday we we'll discuss the new training plan."

To say that the students were relieved would be a massive understatement. They had a marvelous time, but were terribly exhausted. Many doubted that they would be able to make it back to the castle, some found it difficult to stand, and others found it downright impossible to even move.

Alright, here are the list of hints on who Professor Grey is that I have woven into the story but am pointing out here.

-his magic is familiar to Lucy, but isn't normal magic

-G, the first letter of his name

-he looks familiar to Lucy

-his picture is in Chapter 6

-he had drawings of Lucy (So he knows her)

-knows how to sword fight