Chapter 22

Three-ish weeks later, we're on our show in New York City. We're not big enough to be at Madison Square Garden, obviously, but we're at the next big arena in NYC. This show sold out, and when I peek out into the crowd a few minutes before the show, I'm astounded at the sheer number of screaming people out there.

   In the middle of the first song, I look down into the crowd and I almost stop singing because I'm surprised to see Niall. He's front and center, and when he sees me notice him he gives me a thumbs up and smiles. When the song is over, Niall is cheering and he looks so proud. Gah!

   "So I'd like to welcome the one and only Niall Horan to tonight's show! He didn't tell me he was coming," I tell the crowd. I stand there awkwardly for a minute while the crowd screams.

   We do the normal show, and then this crowd picks You & I by One Direction for their song. I. Love. This. Song. When this album came out I had this song on repeat for literally like two weeks. And I never got sick of it. I want to have Niall come up and sing it with me, but it's like he reads my mind- he shakes his head and texts me, telling me I'll be great by myself.

   "I know this is going to sound super cheesy, but that's just me, right? I dedicate this song to one of the men that sings it. Niall, this is for you," I say with a smile. Everyone collectively 'aw's and Lindsey starts playing You & I.

   When the show is over I run offstage to meet Niall. It takes me a minute to find him, but when I do, he doesn't see me at first.

   "Niall!" I squeal, running to him. I throw my arms around his neck and press my lips against his.

   "It's good to see you too, princess," Niall whispers into my hair after we kiss. I stand, wrapped in his arms, until Lindsey comes and snaps us out of our little daze.

   "You little lovebirds gotta split. We've gotta leave. Cleveland is quite a bit further away than other shows have been," she says, smacking me in the butt with her microphone. I roll my eyes and wait for her to walk away. When she's gone, I turn back to Niall.

   "How long are you in the US?" I ask Niall.

   "I'm here as long as I want to be here. I've got some interviews and stuff in LA in a couple weeks, but besides that I'm on break for a while."

   "What are your plans until you have to be in LA?" I ask, kind of trying to hint that he should just come on the tour with me. It probably wouldn't be much fun for him, but I would love having him here with me. 

   "Well, I talked to your management, and they're letting me stay with you with for a few days if you're okay with it," he says shyly.

   "Of course you can stay with me! I mean, it probably won't be the funnest thing for you, but it'll be nice to have someone else around."

   "Everything's fine if you're around," Niall says, wrapping an arm around my waist. I smile and we start walking out to the bus.

   "No one else on the bus, Elissa. You know this!" Jackie, the driver, says, exasperated. I sigh.

   "Jackie, do you know who this is?" I ask, gesturing to Niall. Jackie shakes her head.

   "This is Niall. He's in a famous boy band, and it just so happens that we're dating," I explain.

   "I'm still not supposed to let anyone else on," Jackie insists.

   "Niall already asked management, and they said it was fine, Jackie. Do you need me to go get Shelly?" I threaten. Jackie is terrified of Shelly. I have no idea why, but she just is.