Chapter 16

"Dan?" I said, but my voice was soft. Like in one second my voice jumped out of my throat and I can hardly speak now.

"I thought this was just a dream." Dan said in disbelief.  Of course he had. Why would he think that he would ever see his dead best friend again?

For a short moment, which felt like forever we just looked at each other in disbelief. Him, just realizing this isn't a dream, and me just remembering him for who he really is instead of just an imaginary friend.

After we both gained our senses, I threw myself onto Dan in a tackle hug. Tears welling in our eyes.

"I remember now." I whisper to Dan.

We sit up after a minute and I know that we both are going to have a lot of explaining to do.

"You first" Dan said quietly, wiping tears from his eyes. He looked at up at me. I took a deep breath, feeling my lungs fill with air before I could regain myself to tell him the story.

My mind was kinda cluttered, the memories of living before had been hidden away from myself for a while and I'm still trying to piece them back together.

"Okay, so it was the day we were playing tag. I was it. You ran into the water. I ran after you. I died in the water. That's what you already know. From that on its kinda blurry, but I know I was given a second chance. The deal was I leave everything behind, my room, my mom, you, but I get to be again. I remember thinking that it's what you would have wanted so I went for it. I woke up by the pond in the middle of the night and I wandered home,  not knowing where else to go. Mrs. Lester was there, who I know now really is my mom. I said she was my mom, and she told me I was confused.  Nevertheless she took me in and i grew up with her. How'd you get here? Wait! are you dead?" I asked, the sudden realization that he might also be dead struck me mind and I was horrified waiting for his answer. I hope not, I wouldn't want him to be like me.

"No I'm not dead, at least I don't think." He said trying to recall past events to see if maybe he died.

"Oh thank goodness," I was relived." Then how are you here?"

"Well since you... died. I go to that pond every year on that day. This time I... I fell in. I woke up at the pond. I figured it was a dream. I've had dreams about you before and so I thought it was another one. I just can't believe it's really you."  Dan gushed. He spoke so quickly that it was hard to even understand him at all.

Though the moment was happy and full of reminisce, I couldn't help but wonder one thing.

"Dan, is it possible for you to go back?" I asked, and he froze.

"I don't know, but I dont want to go back if you can't come with me." He said in a whisper. I couldn't let him stay. He has a family, friends, a life. All things that would be taken from him if he stayed here. And the only reason he's here in the first place is because of me.

"Dan i can't let you stay. You still have a life." I tell him gently.

"But phil, I've already lost you once. I need my best friend." Dan's eyes welled with tears, but I knew this time they weren't happy ones.

-----------

This chapter was fun to write.

So I woke up this morning and decided to learn Morse code, so I did.

..  ..-.  /  -.--  ---  ..-  /  -.-.  .-  -.  /  .-.  .  .-  -..  /  -  ....  ..  ...  /  -  ....  .  -.  /  -.-.  ---  --  --  .  -.  -  /  -.--  ---  ..-  .-.  /  ..-.  .-  ...-  ---   .-.  ..  -  .  /  -.-. ---  .-..  ---  .-.

Love you! Bye!

~ Madi