Chapter 21

"Phil, I don't want to loose you again. Why can't we just live here together?" Dan asked. His voice in a hushed and calm. We are just sitting around, like we had been, at the park. The sun is setting, and the horizon seems to be set in a blaze of fire.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to have school, but I don't want to go. I want to spend the whole day with dan. No distractions. Because soon he'll have to go. He'll have to go back. Somehow. He has to.

"Dan, will you please tell me more about how my family is doing now? How did they ever cope?" I ask to dan. He looked at me, acknowledging that I spoke. Before answering he shifted himself, laying his head on my lap.  The sun is now set, and it's kinda chilly, but it doesn't bother me that much.

"Cope? I wouldn't say they really coped at all. It was a terribly bleak time, and I wish I could say I didn't remember every waking minute, but I do. I remember your mom being strong. So so strong in front of me.

"My mom baked cookies to bring to her, I was supposed to take them, but I didn't leave my room at all. However my mom told me your mom was doing well. At the funeral she wasn't hold up well, but I wouldn't expect her to.

"I visit her now, every year on the anniversary of your... death. She's doing much better now, but she still gets really sad when she thinks of you." He tells me. His voice is grim and full of sorrow. I can tell it's a big weight on his shoulders that he saw my mom got through all that.

"You know, it's kinda weird talking about my death" I say with a dry laugh. There's nothing you can do to make light of a situation like this.

"Yeah its weird telling you what happened after you died. I mean, you're right here in front of me, and part of me is still convinced this is a dream." He tells me, brightening up with the topic change.

"Yeah." I say, the topic quickly exhausted. We sit in silence for a few minutes until I feel the icy wind like toothpick in my bones. I hadn't been able to put too much thought into the cold yet. It seems that dan is thinking the same thing, because I can feel him shivering now.

"Can we walk back, it's getting cold" Dan whispers, sitting up in his spot.

"I was thinking the same thing, let's get going" I reply it's fairly dark now. The main light source is the streetlights, but even they are few and far between. Luckily we know this place forwards and backwards.

We walk our way up to the road, it's a little bit of a walk from the part of the field we were sitting at. I can feel the pavement under my feet, but I don't feel Dan at my side any longer.

"I... I can't see where the cracks are in the road." I says in a small voice. I feel bad for him, "can we maybe go the long way home? The all grass path?"

"That's going to take forever, and you're shivering. I could carry you piggy back?" I suggest. I'm also freezing and the long path seems like the worst plan possible.

"Yeah, that's okay. Are you sure you want to do that though?" I asks. I nod in assurance and get in position for him to get on my back.

"Thank you"

---------------------------

I. Am. So. Tired. I. Want. Death.

Hello.

I have nothing to say xD.

Goodbye.

(What even is this authors note???)

Love you! Bye!

~ Madi