Moving to a New Town

She glanced into the side mirror to see only a few cars traveling in the same direction as her and her mom. Carly hated leaving beautiful California, but also she couldnt get far enough away. Her ex-boyfriend was a physcho who beat her everytime she denied him something or said something wrong or looked at a guy like she was interested. Her mom also wanted to get away from her boss, who in the past couple months became very interested in her and possessive. Carly looked at her mom and looked at her in a new way because now she saw a strong woman who decided to take action in her life for the first time since Carly's dad left when she was eleven. She smiled to herself as she saw the sign: "Welcome to Montana". An hour later, she saw the house they would live in and took out her headphones, starting to smile. It was a two-story gray house with burgendy window shutters. It had a long, screened in front porch and a garage. Her mom parked in front of one of the garage doors, and turned off the car. "The movers will be here later today." Carly checked her phone, it was only twelve in the afternoon. "So, until then, we can explore the house and get ideas where to put things and what rooms we want." Her mom raised her eyebrows up and down, excited. Carly laughed lightly and nodded.

"Okay. Let's go." Carly and her mom got out of the car and went up to the front porch. They found the key where the realtor said it would be, under the flower pot. As they stepped in, it smelled like roses and new house. They both took a deep breathe, letting it out as a small laugh. The first room they stumbled onto was the kitchen. It was rather large with very many counters and cabinets along with an island counter in the middle. It also had a touchscreen kind of oven, and a dishwasher. "Very nice, right?" Carly asked. 

"So far... I am loving it. Let's check out the rest." They checked out the laundry room which also had a sdoor that went out to the back door. It was a skinny but long room. The bedroom downstairs was rather large, and had its own bathroom and walk in closet. Her mom's eyes sparkled at it and Carly already knew she would give this room to her mom. She deserved a nice place for herself to get ready. Carly and her use to use the same bathroom and their schedules clashed which made it worse. They made their way upstairs and went into the first bedroom. This bedroom also had a walk in closet but the bathroom was next door. It was a medium sized room, but the window and wall room caught Carly's attention. The windows were round instead of square and the wall had enough room for her drawings. "Mom... this is my room. Dibs." Her mom looked at her and smiled brightly. "Thats what I knew you would say." Her mom said. The bathroom was kind of small but Carly liked it. They saw the room that they would use as a guest room, and there was a work out room for the little exercise equipment they had. There was also a small storage closet. They were walking down the stairs when the door bell rang.

"Movers?" Carly asked.,

"No, its too early." Her mom passed her a confused expression and a shrug before opening the door. "Hello?" Carly joined her mother's side and saw a family standing there. A tall man who looked like he could be a lawyer or some type of business man, a woman who was definitely a waitress because her shirt happen to say "Beck's Diner" and a little boy in a Carolina jersey.

"Hi, we are the Cizneks and we live down the street. We heard we had new neighbors moving in. Im Cindy, this is Bradley, and my husband, Kevin." The mother spoke up.

"Nice to meet y'all. I am Samantha and this is my daughter Carly."

"Well, we just wanted to say welcome to the neighborhood, and invite you both to a cook out this Friday night to get to know some of your other neighborhood folk. Oh. I also have another son, Keith but he had to work."

"Well, thank you. We will definitely try to make it. Which house is yours?"

"The last one on the right with the red mailbox. Carly, how old are you?" Cindy asked.

"I am seventeen. Im a senior in school." Carly replied with a friendly smile. Cindy returned the smile.

"So is Keith! Great! I will tell him to be nice to the new girl in town. He can be a little wild at times but he just dont want to seem like he has a soft side." Cindy laughed light-heartedly. Carly laughed with her.

"You don't have to do that but thank you." Carly replied. Samantha spoke once again, "and thank you for the welcome and invitation. We can't wait."

"Us either. See y'all then. Bye." The men mimicked her goodbye and Carly and Samantha waved bye.

"Well, they're sweet." Her mom said. Carly giggled and nodded. The movers truck pulled up just then and they both squealed. "Let's get moved in." They walked out together and started helping the workers.