Getting Ready for Cookout

The rest of the week, Keith met Carly at her locker and walked her to her first two classes then ditched her for the rest of the day. Carly just thought it was his schedule but she wasn't sure. She didn't want to care too much either. Though she could tell she was starting to feel a real connection with him. "So, Carly, are you coming my cookout tonight?" Keith asked as he leaned against the locker next to hers. She nodded, smiling. "Awesome, I can't wait. And hey, its still warm enough so bring your swim suit."

"You have a pool?" She asked, excited. Keith chuckled at her and nodded.

"Yes we do. And you are joining me in it. Okay? Promise?"

"Promise." She giggled. He squeezed her side, making her squeal. A few students turned their head either in amusement or irritation. He laughed and she tried seeming mad. She couldn't keep a serious face as he stuck out his tongue at her. They busted out laughing and she had to put a hand on his shoulder to steady herself. Suddenly, they became very serious and Keith moved closer. He brushed her hair from her face, placing it behind her ear. He let his fingers trail down her neck before resting it back on her side.

"I can't wait until tonight, Carly. I will see you then, okay?" She seemed to be breathless so she just smiled really wide and nodded. "Later."

"Bye Keith." Her voice came back, but a little hoarse. She hoped he wouldn't notice. For the rest of the day, she was wondering about how the cookout would go, what she would wear, and how to calm her nerves whenever Keith came around. She walked to lunch with Susie as usual and made small talk about class.

"So, what are you doing tonight?"

"Going over to Keith's for a cookout."

"Oh, really?" Susie wiggled her eyebrows. Carly gave her a playful glare which Susie just shrugged off.

"What about you?" Carly asked.

"My older brother who is in the military is coming in tonight so we are chilling at home. Family night."

"Sounds fun!" Carly said. Her voice cracked but she wouldnt let the memories flood. "Your night does too. So what is up with you and Keith anyway? Its like half the day, he is all over you, the second half he's nowhere near you." Carly chuckled.

"I dont know what that is about, I was thinking about asking him tonight. But, so far all I know is Keith and I are friends." Carly shrugged. Susie shrugged. The rest of the day went by slowly and Carly grew more nervous and excited. When she got home, she found a note from her mom. 'Sweetie, I went for a drive to find my way around here. Ill be home an hour before the cook out. Dress cute. Love you, Mom.' Carly smiled and left the note there but wrote a heart on the bottom of it next to her mom's name. She jogged upstairs and grabbed some comfortable clothes: sweatpants, a t-shirt that said "California Beautiful" and her necessities. She turned on her iPod to full volume, picking out the song "Tonight Tonight" by Hot Chelle Rae.  She jumped into the shower and sang along, loving the pressure of water on her back. After a fifteen minute shower, she got out and got dressed, wrapping her hair in a turbie towel. She walked back to her room, entering her walk-in closet. Through the week she had set up the closet to the way she liked it. She sorted it by the seasons and lined up the shoes from most favorite to least. She also had a cabinet with drawers for her scarves, gloves, hats, belts, and swim suits. She pulled open the drawer with the swim suits in it and looked for her favorite two piece. She found it near the top; it was white with blue and pink polka dots, it tied at the back and clipped around her neck and the material on the side of the bottoms was bunched to have a ripple effect. She tucked the swim suit under her arm and started looking for her outfit.She picked out a Black shirt that had a lacey back, her gray jean shorts, and picked out her black rainbow flip flops. She laid her bikini and outfit on her bed, walked back to the bathroom to start her hair. She had two and half hours to be completely ready. She brushed, blow dried, and straightened her hair within twenty minutes. She brushed her hair again, picked out a blue and pink hair band before dumping her hair to do a classy but messy bun. When she looked at herself again, she thought the bun was cute. She grabbed her make up bag and looked through it. She grabbed her waterproof mascara and eyeliner and applied them very carefully. She went back to her room and carefully tugged off her lounging clothing. She slipped on her bikini bottoms and then the top, tying it tight enough to stay tied and make her look good. She slipped on her shirt, then her jeans and grabbed her iPod and flip flops. She cut all of her lights off and went downstairs.