One Day Until College

Graduation had been so fun and yet really sad. They went to a pool party afterwards and they had a cookout at Keith's the next day with all the neighbors. The summer had gone by fast full of fun, laughs, sleepovers with Susie and Keith's new friend, Ryan.

It was the day before they went off to college and they were each in their own rooms packing everything needed and wanted to take with them. Carly packed her last shirt and zipped up the huge suitcase. She opened the small duffel bag for other small clothing and walked to her dresser. She looked in the mirror and finally realized the tears in her eyes. She took a deep breathe and told herself to cry later. She looked at the pictures of Keith and her taped around the frame of the mirror. She took her favorite down, the one where they were in the pool and she was on Keith's shoulders. They both had their arms raised and were smiling. She felt two warm arms wrap around her shoulders.

"I love that picture." Keith said. His voice low and sweet, his breathe hot on her neck.

"I love it too." Carly answered, a whisper. She turned around and he placed his hands on her hips.

"Baby, we'll be okay. I promise. I'm yours."

"I know you're mine..." She wrapped her arms around is waist and rested her face on his chest. "But, I'll miss you." She said, letting a tear escape. She looked up at him and smiled sadly. He mirrored her smile and brushed the tear off her cheek with his thumb.

"I'll miss you too." Keith's voice cracked and he hugged her tight. "Let's go out tonight or stay in and we'll make mom go out. But, I wanna spend tonight with only you. Lately its been us plus mom or friends. I'm puttin my foot down..." Carly giggled. "What's funny, huh?"

"You. Let's stay in... watch movies and cuddle like we haven't done in a while." She said.

"Okay. Sounds good." He leaned down and kissed her softly. She kissed back instantly and smiled as he walked back to his room to finish packing. Within another hour, she had packed everything except what she needed for that night and the next morning. Cindy made them dinner and got ready to go. By the time she left it was nearly eight. Keith groaned about his mom not taking hints and being the slowest woman to get ready. Carly just laughed and picked out a movie. She put in "City of Bones" and sat next to Keith, so close their hips were touching. He put his arm around her and they stayed quiet through the movie, just enjoying each other's presence. Keith picked out another movie after that and put in Superman. Carly kissed his cheek, loving the little kid left in him. After the movies, it was nearly eleven and they were both pretty tired. They went to Keith's room and laid down, facing each other. He stroked her arm and pulled her closer. "I love you, Carly." He whispered.

"I love you back, Keith." He kissed her deeply, loving the way their lips moved in sync. He moved to gently lay on top of her. He continued kissing her, playing with her hair, resting his hand on her stomach. She wrapped her arms around him, running her hands through his hair and down his back. She felt his hand move up from her stomach and rest right between her breasts. She decided not to say anything, thinking that's where he would stop. He moved his hand back down and she felt relieved. Then his hand went under her shirt, cupping one of her breasts in his hand gently. Carly wanted to say something but she didn't. Keith loved how she was just going with the flow, he was trying to move slow and he knew she would love him for it. When he went to remove her shirt, she finally stopped him. "Keith, no." She kissed him, then shook her head. "You know I'm not ready."

"Yes you are... if you weren't, you would have stopped me before now." He answered. His eyes were full of desire.

"But, I'm not. And you promised that you would wait for me to be ready." She said, slightly hurt he was trying to break his promise.

"You're right. I'm sorry." He laid down beside her, not touching her and rolled over with his back to her. She waited a few minutes until his breathing slowed and silently got up and went to her room. She curled up in bed, hugging her teddy bear and looking at the picture of Keith and her from earlier.

"Mom, I wish you were here. To tell me what to do. I can't believe Keith, my Keith would get upset with me for not being ready. Mom, tell me what I should do. I can't lose him but I can't lose my innocence yet either." She kissed the picture of Keith and her and put it under her pillow.

She woke up the next morning and the memories from last night flooded her mind. She took a deep breathe and thought maybe he had slept it off and maybe it was just the sleepiness talking last night. She walked to his room and found him still sleeping. She smiled at his peaceful face and sat on the edge of his bed, brushing his hair from his face. "You need a haircut baby. Wake up. College day." She poked his cheek and he moaned but opened one eye. She could still his love for her, but something negative passed over his features.

"I'm awake. I'll be down in a minute. He rolled out of the opposite side of the bed and walked into his bathroom, not looking back before closing the door. She sighed and shrugged it off. She went downstairs and was greeted by a smiling and cooking Cindy. "Morning darling." Cindy greeted.

"Morning." Carly answered, half smiling.

"What's wrong?"

"Keith is in a bad mood." She just laughed and continued cooking. A couple hours later, Carly and Keith were packing their own trunks. Keith finished before her but didn't offer to help. She was starting to get really mad at him, not understanding why her not being ready bothered him so much. She went back, grabbed her pillow and purse and slipped on her shoes. She gave Cindy a big goodbye hug, recieving a kiss on the cheek. Keith was behind her and recieved a few kisses on the cheeks. They laughed as Keith and Carly walked out together. "So this is it." She said, stopping and turning to him.

"Yep. I'll miss you Carls. Call me when you get there and call me tonight so I can make sure you're okay." He finally wrapped her in his arms and held on a couple minutes. "I love you."

"I love you." She went up on her toes for a kiss and he kissed her softly, but too briefly.

"Bye Carls. Drive safe."

"You too, bye Keith." She said, doubting he heard her as he got in his car. He back away and drove off waving goodbye. She groaned and got in her car. That was not how she imagined their goodbye. Not at all.