Cookout Time

Carly's mom came home exactly an hour before the cookout and started getting ready. Carly told her about her day and about the Cizneks' pool. Her mom got ready as Carly listened to her iPod. When Samantha walked out into the living room forty five minutes later, she looked amazing. She wore a semi-short hunter green dress and matching shoes, her hair done in loose curls and light make up. "Im not swimming." Her mom announced.

"Why not?"

"I dont want to. I need to seem like the adult here." They laughed together and grabbed their purses. Carly slipped on her flip flops and tucked her phone in her back pocket before following her mom to the car. They drove to Keith's house and it seemed like they were the first guests there. They walked to the front door and rang the door bell. After a few seconds, little Bradley opened the door. "HI! Mom!! Samantha and Carls is here." Carly giggled at the nickname and wondered if he had come up with that by himself. Keith strode to the door in just a wife-beater and blue trunks with green stripes. "Come on in guys. My parents are on the back patio."

"Thank you. You must be Keith." Samantha said. Keith sent her a charming and polite smile which she returned.

"Yes ma'am. Hey Carly. Bring your swim suit?"

"Yes, I did." She mirrored his smirk. He winked at her before leading them the rest of the way to the patio.

"Mom! The guests are here." Cindy came into view smiling widely and came straight at Samantha and Carly, hugging them both. They returned the hug and laughed softly. "I am so excited! Samantha, you can join my husband and I at the grill. Bradley is already in the pool and Carly, Keith and you can hang out." Carly nodded, smiling politely.

"Okay." Samantha was led away, glancing back once to smile at Carly. Keith was by Carly's side and he touched her elbow lightly. The touch sent tingles up her arm and she tried to compose her face by smiling at him.

"Pool or Just Dance first?"

"Are we the only guests?"

"Yep." He popped the 'p' and smirked. She giggled.

"Just Dance. Duh."

"You're my kind of girl." He said, really smiling. His dimples showed and she had to tear her stare away. She felt her cheeks grow hot at his words and she couldn't help but smile.

"I bet." She said quietly. He chuckled and led her to the living room, keeping his hand on her back or arm or shoulder the whole way. They ended up playing Just Dance for half an hour before getting bored of it because they only liked certain songs. "Pool time now?" Carly asked.

"You just want me to see you in that bikini." He teased, moving closer until he was just a couple inches away.

"Oh dont tell me you haven't dreamed about it for the last week, I know you have. Thats why you wanted to make sure I wore a swim suit." She poked his chest and walked away. He smirked as she walked to the pool, her hips swaying and arms swinging gracefully by her side. She stopped and looked back at him. She motioned with her finger for him to come and like his legs were under her spell, he started following her to the pool. He tried to keep thoughts of his mind but one broke through. 'I like her.' He smiled but he also was confused. He never had this much fun with a girl without it being in a bedroom or making out at a party. He was scared of these new, real feelings. Plus, what if she didnt like him back? He shook all of his thoughts away as she started to slip off her shirt. She slipped off her jean shorts and stood there in her bikini. He took a deep breathe and let it out slowly. He slipped off his wife-beater and laid it on the next chair next to hers. He grabbed her hand smiling as he noticed her eyes checking him out. She bit her lip, then smiled back at him, making direct eye contact. He reached behind her head and grabbed the hair band. He carefully and slowly pulled it out, watching her hair fall naturally over her shoulders. He saw the blush spread across her cheeks and rushed to cover them. He caressed her face to where she was looking in his eyes again. "I like your hair all natural... You're beautiful no matter what though." She seemed a little shocked but she smiled at him, which made him smile back. "Come on. Let's jump." He said. She nodded and held his hand as he led her to the diving board. "You first." She shook her head.

"No way!"

"FIne. Ill show you how it's done." He stepped on the board and went to the end, bouncing a few times. He took a deep breathe then made a perfect dive into the water. Carly's jaw dropped and then she laughed and clapped as he came up and looked at her. "What ya think?" He asked.

"Incredible. But watch me." She said. She stepped on the board, bounching twice before jumping in the air and making an eagle spread before flipping to do a perfect dive. When she came up, Keith's jaw was completely dropped and he was staring at her like he had just seen his favorite celebrity in his house. "That was awesome, Carls!" He said and swam to her, their legs touching every now and then. They started to talk and ask questions about each other. She was smiling the whole time until Keith asked one question.

"So, why did you runaway from California?" He asked. She suddenly couldn't keep herself above the deep water so she swam to the edge and lifted herself up to sit on the side of the pool. Keith joined her a few seconds later. "Carly, Im sorry. Nevermind. It's not my right to ask." He said, rubbing her back gently. Though she still felt tingles all over, there was a warmth that spread wherever his hand touched. It was like his kindness was being passed along to her.

"It's okay. It's just hard to think about. You dont have to apologize. I ranaway because if I hadn't, he would have hurt me so bad that I could've died or killed myself." This seemed to stun Keith into protective mode.

"Who? Who hurt you?"

"My ex-boyfriend. He seemed so sweet the first six months of our relationship. But his dad divorced his mom and then he was always depressed or angry and I was never good enough. He would hit me for any reason he thought was wrong on my part. And if I threatened to tell someone, he threatened to kill me or hurt a friend. So, I finally told my mom about it three months after. Im okay now though. Really. I just need a new start." She finished. Keith pulled her head to his chest and she gratefully accepted the comfort. It felt really good to be held in a guy's arms and feeling safe while in them.