Starting College

Carly had called Keith when she got to the college but not that night. He hadn't tried to call her either. She was confused about his behavior because the next morning, he had text her, 'good morning, Carls.' She had texted back a 'good morning' and he hadn't texted her since. She finished setting up her side of the dorm while getting to know her roommate, Hannah. They went to dinner together at the campus cafeteria. "So, do you have a boyfriend?" Hannah asked her, smirking.

"Yes. His name is Keith. We met like, a year ago, but we've only been going out 9 out of the twelve."

"Awwww. You're smiling like a goof ball." Hannah teased. Carly just laughed.

"What about you?"

"Nope. I have been single for a year, ever since my ex, John left me."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Don't be. He's a jerk." Hannah laughed. "So is Keith your age?"

"Yep. He goes to a college in Oregon."

"You live in this state?"

"Idaho? No... I live in Montana. Well acutally I moved there a year ago but it's more home than my first home was." Carly replied.

"I'm confused." Hannah said.

"My home was California. I moved to Montana a year ago to get away from my phsycho ex."

"Oh? How crazy was he?"

"He... had anger issues." Carly left it that. She didn't want to tell Hannah about the rest yet.

"Oh, I see. Sorry you went through that. So did you break up with him or just left."

"The day before I left, I broke up with him. My mom had my cell phone number changed and we sped out of there. Almost as soon as we got there, we met Keith's family at our new house. They welcomed us into the neighborhood."

"Wait, Keith wasn't with them?"

"No, at the moment, Keith was quitting his job." Carly laughed and Hannah joined her.

"Why did he quit?'

"Unfair pay. He had worked there for a while and a new guy came in and they payed him more just because he had a college degree. Keith said he was way more advanced, college or no college." Carly shrugged and rolled her eyes. "He is all about being fair or winning." She said.

"So, I guess you give into him more than he gives into you?" Hannah teased, again.

"No. So not true."

"So true. It's all over your face, honey. That boy has you wrapped around his finger."

"He does not. Especially right now."

"Uh, oh. Trouble in paradise?"

"Well, he got mad for me not wanting to... you know what... yet. But my point is... he made me a promise at the beginning that he wouldn't rush me... so shouldn't I be the mad one?"

"Oh... the next step fight... been there. Honey, you have to remind him of promises he made. If he don't remember, he may not be a keeper. Or maybe this just a test."

"A test?"

"From God Almighty himself. Carly, do you trust Keith?"

"With my life." Carly answered quickly.

"Do you have faith he wont hurt intentionally?"

"Yes."

"Do you love Keith?"

"Yes, I do."

"Then talk to him. Call him if he isn't calling you. You may not think so, but guys love when a girl gives him a piece of their mind... in a loving way of course."

"You're so.... smart." 

"Wise, my dear. There's a difference. But, thank you." She smiled brightly. Carly grabbed her phone from the table and went outside. She called Keith and got his voicemail. "Hey baby, it's me. Um, just call me back. We really need to talk about something. I miss you." She hung up and sighed. She waited a few minutes and smiled when Keith called her back. 

"Hey Carly, sorry. I was in the middle of a basketball game with some new buddies."

"It's okay, hey K. So... can we talk?" 

"Yeah, sure. What about, babe?"

"The other night..."

"Oh." Keith said. "Carls, I'm so sorry about that. I shouldn't rush you and then get mad when you say no. I made a promise and I promise to keep it. I don't know what got a hold of me. I just... I knew I was going to miss you and I guess I just got carried away in the moment. It won't happen again until you're ready even if that's marriage."

"Really?" Carly asked. "You ruined my whole speech, but I forgive you for that night." 

"For just that night? What else did I do wrong?" Keith asked, his voice suddenly aggravated.

"Um, you barely gave me a proper goodbye..." Carly said, now annoyed at his change of tone.

"Yes I did." Keith defended.

"If you think that was a proper goodbye compared to how we usually said goodbye, you lost your head." Carly said.

"Well maybe I lost my head, but at least I'm not being obsessive." Keith half-yelled.

"W-What? You know what? Forget I even called. Maybe you need a less obsessive girlfriend. Sorry for bothering you, babe. Bye." Carly hung up and stormed inside. Hannah stared at her before asking, "So, how did it go?"

"Great and then terrible. He called me obsessive!"

"What did YOU say?"

"Basically I just told him maybe he should find a less obsessive girlfriend and hung up." Carly said.

"Go girl!" Hannah held her hand up for a high five. Carly laughed shortly and gave her one. "Now, let us go party tonight?" Hannah asked hopefully.

"There's already a party?" Carly asked, shocked. Hannah nodded. "Okay. I am not drinking though. Okay?"

"Me either. They don't do alcohol. This is Idaho, not California." Hannah said. Carly just stuck her tongue out. At eight, Hannah came out of the bathroom looking like a rock star. She had tight black skinny jeans with a while shirt that hung off her shoulders saying "Bite Me." and black, knee high, leather boots. She had her hair down and curly with a black hairband in. 

"WOW. You look great." 

"You too." Carly looked down at herself. She was wearing her tight, faded jeans, a dark gray strapless shirt with red, knee high boots. She had a gray hairband in her straight hair. 

"Thanks." They got to the party and immediately went to the dance floor. After about thirty minutes, Carly waved to Hannah she was getting a drink. Hannah nodded, returning her attention to the guy who was trying to dance with her, but sucked at dancing. Carly laughed and fixed herself a cup of water. After three more hours of dancing, drinking water and sodas, and eating teaser food, they went back to their dorm exhausted. As soon as they got in, they changed into their pajamas and went to bed saying goodnight.