Movie Time is Bonding Time

The cookout went really well, all of the neighbors openly welcoming Samantha and Carly. Carly was beginning to be truly happy with her life. The whole dinner, Keith would try to find some excuse to touch Carly or get closer to her and whisper something. Whenever she laughed or smiled at him, he felt like he could run a marathon without giving out of energy. He had never been this interested in someone, and as much as he was slightly scared of it, he liked it. She loved when Keith would laugh with her or smile at her. Sometimes he would even wink at her or poke or nudge, and whisper to her. After they finished eating, they waited twenty minutes to get back in the pool. They knew that the myth of getting cramps if you swam right after eating was exactly that, a myth. Yet, with all of the children here, they wanted to look like good role models. They both made a dive from the diving board again and clapped for each other. Keith and Carly played volleyball with the kids, Deep Water team versus the Shallow Water team. The Deep Water team won, but Keith and Carly gave them seahorse rides, the kids called them, since the kids lost. Eventually some every guest left besides Samantha and Carly. Carly and Keith were still talking in the pool when Samantha called out to her. “Carly! Cindy said Keith will drive you home when you are ready to leave. Don't stay out too late but there's no curfew since its the weekend, okay? Love you.”

“Okay mom! Thank you! Love you back.” Carly replied, smiling and waving. “So, what do you want to do?”

“Want to watch a scary movie in my room? We have popcorn and chocolate.” He offered. She laughed.

“Sure!” They climbed out the pool, and grabbed their towels. They went into the kitchen first to find the chocolate and pop the popcorn. Once they were done, he led her upstairs, holding her hand again. She smiled to herself as he did this, once again getting use to his hand around hers quickly. “Let me see the choice first though.” She said as they set up pillows and blankets in his floor at the foot of the bed.

“They are in the right side of the cabinet.” Keith said, smirking at her request. She sat Indian style in front of the cabinet and started looking through the movies. She picked out the first Micheal Myers movie. She turned to Keith and smiled. She held out the movie and placed it in his waiting hand. “Good choice, my lady. Hope you're not a scaredy cat.”

“Oh, I'm not.” She said bluntly, then giggled at his suspicious glare. He set up the movie and joined her on the blanket, taking in his own pillow and making it comfortable. They placed the popcorn and chocolate candy between them. Some time through out the movie, Carly's hand and Keith's hand grabbed for popcorn at the same time. The contact had both of them snap their heads to their hands then at each others faces. Keith smiled at her sweetly. “You first.” He whispered, reluctantly taking away his hand from hers. She smiled back at him shyly, taking some popcorn and removing her hand from his way. The rest of the movie, they were slightly careful not too touch, but when the movie ended, Keith moved the food and sat it to the side. He moved closer to Carly where their shoulders brushed. She smiled and scooted closer where their shoulders were against each other and their legs touched. “So you really aren't the scared type... I was hoping you'd jump at least once.”

“Why? So you could tease me to no end?” She giggled.

“Yes, and so I could hug you and make you less scared.”

“I'm not scared of those movies because I went through something scary. You know?” Keith pulled Carly into a hug, her head fitting into the crook of his neck. She smiled. “Thanks.”

“For?”

“Listening. You're already there for me and  we've only known each other a week.”

“I want to be there for you. No need to thank me, it's my pleasure. You're my best friend. For life now.”

Keith said. He laid his head against hers and rubbed her arm softly.

“For life.” Carly repeated, smiling. She could now tell herself that she was truly happy again.

"Carly?"

"Yes, Keith?" Carly barely heard herself but when she went to repeat herself, he spoke again.

"You told me a big part of your life... so I thought I could tell you some part of mine. Two years ago, I lost my best friend. She had always been there for me whenever someone said something or my parents fought or I needed something stylish to wear. She confessed she was in love with me the night she died. I told her I had never thought of her like that... I wish I could go back to that night and tell her I had been love with her too. That's why I am the way I am with girls, well besides you apparently."

"How are you with other girls?" Carly's voice was soft and sincere.

"I play with their feelings, I use them for what most guys want, and I throw them aside when I'm bored of them. That's why I didnt want to get too close to you at first."

"That's why you ditched me half the days at school?" She asked, smiling.

"Yeah. Sorry about that. I just dont want to hurt you. You don't deserve it. I saw the hurt in your eyes the first time I talked to you. I promise, I wont hurt you. You're my best friend. I won't do anything to jeopardize that." He said. He placed his lips on her head but not in a kiss, just to do it. She nodded and smiled. But a thought slipped in, 'does that mean he dont want to ever be more than friends?'