After Three Months

Three months later, Keith and Clary always walked to each others classes and hung out after school doing homework then watching a movie. Sometimes they would have dinner at one or the others house. Keith still liked to hold her hand when they were alone but it never went farther than that and a hug. One day, Keith checked out of school and texted Carly to come over after and he would explain. So right after the final bell rang, she rushed to her car and started driving to his house. Her mom had helped her look for her car a month ago. It was a 1998 red Honda Civic and it suited her perfectly. She pulled into the driveway and walked to the door. Before she could knock, Keith opened the door. He looked tired, upset and depressed. "Keith, what's wrong? Have you been crying?" Carly asked. He nodded before pulling her inside and into a hug. He started to sob again and she held him tighter. "Let's sit down, okay? Then, you can explain when you're ready." She led him to couch where she sat very closesy to him and held his hand while he sobbed in her shoulder still. "Shhh... It's okay... whatever it is, it'll be okay."

"NO... My little brother was riding with my dad today. My dad went to a bar to meet a friend real quick to pick up a 'package' as he said. As he was pulling out of the parking lot, a drunk driver rammed him from the side, like a T-bone. On the side where my brother was at. He... Carly, he is gone. Bradley is gone."

"Oh my gosh... Keith. Im so sorry. Cry however much you want. Im sorry." She pulled him down so he could lay on her lap. She set a pillow on her legs before he laid down and then rubbed his back as he cried silently now.

"That's not all of it. My dad was picking up a packet of cocaine. He's part of a drug deal. He's going to jail for thirty years. So all in one day, I lost my dad to jail for a drug deal and my little brother to death. Now I only have my mom and you."

"And my mom." Carly said softly. She recieved a small flicker of a smile from Keith. "Keith." She said. He shifted so he was looking up at her. She wiped the tears from his face and softly smiled down at him. Seeing him this broken was breaking her, but she knew how to be strong in front of people. Though she did let the tears come. "Everything will be okay." She said, as she felt a tear spill from her eye. She quickly wiped it away. "It will be okay. You're strong, Keith. And my mom, your mom, and I am here for you. OK?"

"My mom is worse shape than I am." He answered. His tone suddenly became cool. "I can't believe he would do that. It's his fault Bradley is gone, Carls."

"Maybe... but don't block him out, okay? Be angry if you must. Just not forever. He's your dad. I bet he feels guiltier than you think." She said. Keith nodded. He looked at her again and tried to smile.

"You're beautiful when you're being wise." He commented, almost absent-mindedly. Carly was stunned into silence. She shook her head, though she felt the butterflies in her stomach.

"It's just the tears talking, shh. Take a nap. Ill be here when you wake up, okay?" She said. He nodded. A few minutes went by and she thought he was asleep. When she stopped running her fingers through his hair, he opened his eyes slightly. "I can move." He murmured.

"No, you're okay. Im just going to watch a little t.v. okay?" She felt him nod against her stomach where the back his head now laid. She smiled down at him, his eyes now closed and his face peaceful. She quietly turned on the tv and looked for something to watch. Nothing much was on except Teen Wolf and Glee re-runs so she decided on Glee since she never watched it.

Almost two hours later, Cindy came in looking distraught and depressed. You could the tear stains on her cheeks and the bags under her eyes. She tried to smile at Carly but failed and started to sob again. "Keith... told... you?" She asked through her sobs. Carly nodded and couldn't help but let a few tears slip out.

"I am so sorry this happened. But I want y'all to know I am here for you. So is my mom. Okay?" Carly said. Cindy nodded then pointed to the hallway. Carly understood that she was going to her room and nodded, sending her a small smile. Another hour passed, and Carly was quietly crying herself. She missed little Bradley too, because whenever she came over, she played with him. He always got her to be the bad guy and he would try to capture her and put her in jail. They also played hide and seek and marco-polo in the back yard. She had come to know Bradley as "little B" and he would smile when she called him that. Just the thought of him smiling at her made more tears fall and she closed her eyes and wiped her face with her hands. She felt a hand grip her knee and she almost jumped but Keith spoke up.

"You okay, Carls?" She smiled through her tears and nodded slightly. He turned over where he was on his back and she laid her hand on his chest. He covered her hand with his and rubbed his thumb across her knuckles. "You miss him too. I know." Keith suddenly sat up and scooped her into his lap. They started to cry together, her head on his shoulder, one arm around his neck and the other resting on his chest. His were wrapped around her waist and holding her legs. After a few minutes, she sniffled and looked up. He smiled a little, his dimples playing peek-a-boo. She smiled back as best she could. Being wrapped in his body warmth, sharing his emotions and being a support system for him made her feel important. She knew she would never get tired of this. He brushed her hair back from her face and placed it behind her ear; rubbing her cheek with his thumb. She started to blush and he really smiled then. It was a beautiful sight to see her best friend smile even through one of the hardest times in his life. She smiled back, because his smile was contagious. He felt his heart do flips at her smile. He was so grateful for her, and he knew he couldn't lose her; if he did, he might just go down and never get up again. He leaned in closer, pressing his forehead to hers and whispered, "Thank you, Carly. You really are my kind of girl." He said. She chuckled and nodded against him.

"I'll always be here, Keith. Always."