Chapter 10

Warning: unedited

***

"You may go now."

The Commander ordered, motioning to the door behind me before returning her attention to her laptop. She had a seemingly satisfied look on her face as she typed away on the keyboard.

I gazed at her before following her instruction and exiting the office, immediately making my way to the elevator.

Pressing the red button, I called out for the lab and the elevator chimed its approval before beginning its descent.

Sam had cunningly hinted, as soon as I arrived at the Society to meet him at his lab.

Interested to know whether he had gotten more information from my DNA, I quickly exited the elevator as soon as the doors opened. A pair of scientist, whispering and exchanging notes to themselves, glanced at me as I passed by. Feeling their gazes linger on me, I brushed my hands against the hilts of my blades before shifting my cloak to hide them.

Stopping in front of the Chemical room, I reached out a hand, about to touch the surface of the glass door for my approval of entry, when I felt the air shift at my side. Quickly stepping back, the person who was about to hurl himself towards me slammed to the door before falling to the ground.

The glass door vibrated at the impact, tuning with Sam's groan as he lay sprawled on the floor.

I sighed slightly before crouching down, grudgingly giving him a hand.

He gripped his head and lifted it upwards. Squinting his eyes for a moment, he glanced at my hand before meeting my gaze.

With difficulty, he reached out a hand and grasped mine. "Jesus...?", he said out loud in bewilderment.

I returned his confusion with a blank expression, unamused.

"Am I dead?", he asked, entranced by the fact that 'Jesus' appeared before his very eyes.

I tightened my grip, crushing his hand and almost breaking his bones. His daze was immediately broken and he groaned in pain once more.

Softening my hold after a few moments, his eyes started to squint once again in my direction as he lifted a hand to his glasses. As soon as the fog in his eyes cleared,  he narrowed them at me.

"You're not Jesus", he flatly said, dropping a hand from his glasses.

"No, but he might come to retrieve you one of these days with your stupid surprise attacks."

He gave me a sheepish grin in reply and I pulled his hand up as I stood. Swaying slightly on his feet, he removed his hand from mine and placed it on a wall for support while the other gripped his head.

Shaking my head slightly in disappointment, I waited for him to recover, placing my hand on the hilts of my weapons as I did.

Closing his eyes, he slowly dropped the hand from his head. "But did I surprise you nonetheless?", he asked hopefully, delicately opening his eyes.

My blank expression didn't waver. "No", I stalely replied.

He moaned his disappointment, throwing his head back. "All that for nothing?", he angrily asked.

Shaking my head again, I watched as he reluctantly removed his hand from the wall and place it on the surface of the glass door, letting it scan the ID from his hand, and slid it open just as a faint chime of approval sounded from within.

He entered the chemical room, passing tables before stopping in front of the wall leading to his private lab. Opening it with his ID, he stepped inside, barely giving me a glance to check if I was following him or not.