Chapter 25

I sheathed the sword I borrowed from the guard before attempting to open the window. The window in my room was huge, almost twice my height, and strangely couldn't be open.

My hands twitched in irritation as I felt my body pulse with it. I wanted to throw a punch at the window so that it would break, or even jump through with my body. The anger caused the beast to rattle the cage once more, and in fear of what might happen should it escape, I calmed myself.

With deep breaths, I felt myself slowly relax. Sighing, I ran my hand through my hair.

The beast had calmed down enough that it laid down, but its eyes were still open. Its eyes, slit and dark, caused a shiver to run down my spine. I needed Sam. He was the only one who could help me with this. These idle guards and rich snobs could do nothing to help me. For all I know, they were the one to cause me to suddenly have a hunger for blood.

An image of blood sliding from the guard's throat mere minutes ago caused the beast to shift in the cage.

I clenched my fist, pushing aside the image. Sam. Now.

Since the window doesn't have an opening, I'd have to make one myself. I could just jump through and make a run for it, but the residents here might not approve of my abrupt leave.

Sighing once more, I turned and left the room, closing the door behind me. I didn't want to risk drawing attention to myself. The guard was still slumped unceremoniously on the floor as I walked by him, keeping my eyes from the small drop of blood that covered the floor, and preventing myself from breathing in the metallic aroma that still clung in the air.

I walked pass the library and the other rooms, taking care to look for windows with a latch and more guards at the same time. The hall was clear of cameras, something I was thankful for, but a guard or two might come up the stairs to drop by the guard I had left behind. They would then eventually  find out that I not in my room and immediately suspect me.

My hearing had been tuned up when I heard a distinct yet familiar ring. The sound was loud, considering how high I had tuned my hearing, but I ignored the possibility that it might be in the hands of someone and started to sprint quietly after the sound.

After a few turns and running up the stairs, taking great measure to stay clear from cameras, I stopped in front of a large door. Strangely, I didn't meet a guard as I bounded through the mansion, but I didn't think much about it when I heard voices beyond the door.

"I can't decrypt it." A male voice sounded.

"Just try again." Another male voice said, his tone exasperated. "We need to find out if she's an agent of the Society of not. The phone could answer our question."

The voices sounded familiar as I listened. Without much more thought, I concluded that the former was Alex, and the latter was Allen.

"I know A. I'm as desperate as you. I don't wan't Lilac to be in any harm and if she is, you know what to do right?"

A sigh sounded. "Of course, Alex. I've sworn to my father to protect you and Lilac. I don't care about the woman, so terminating her wouldn't be a problem."

"Can you defeat her?"

There was a pause before Allen replied, "The poison will help me."

Poison. So they were the reason why I'm feeling this sudden hunger for blood. Anger coursed through my blood, fueling me with adrenaline and power. The beast had jumped up from where it laid and started to rattle the cage once more, feeling my anger as if it was its own. It made my blood boil, thinking that they had given me this beast from a poison far different from the one that injured me days ago.