Chapter 14

I cursed at myself as soon as I woke up from unconsciousness.

Having have fainted not once in front of the High Commander, but twice, has proven just how feeble I was. Am. But the memory of his Protector's clenched fist against my body brought a unnecessary shiver within me. His strength had been outmost powerful and I doubted that a normal, unmutilated person, could survive his blows, providing me with the assumption of us being alike.

My eyes were still closed as my thoughts dismissed themselves, giving me the chance to take a deep breath for a moment and relax before focusing on my surroundings. I stiffened when I remembered my captivity, sure that a person was within the same room I was inside and could have heard my deep breathing as an unmistakable sign of my consciousness. When nothing happened, I tuned into my hearing for any sounds within the room. My hearing was meet with silence and I cursed at myself once again.

I was the one of the best, if not the best, and should have observed my surroundings for any signs of danger as soon as I have woken. Clearly the Protector's blows had somehow damaged me.

Relaxing for a moment, I concentrated on my body to sense any kinds of pain I was inflicted with. My head was pounding, a sure sign that I had a migraine due to the fact my stomach was aching with the urge to vomit whatever was inside. Both my neck and my shoulders were throbbing from the strain of lifting me up for probably the entire day. The blows, which had been given to me by the Protector, were throbbing as well though it was dull, almost healed. If I would open my eyes and glance at the mirror to my right, I was sure that I looked as I terrible as I how felt.

I needed to escape. To be free and to figure out was currently happening in the Society.

Motivated, I bowed my dropped head lower and slightly moved around my restrains for any idea on how to escape. At the small movement, the ache in my neck and shoulders turned into a full out pounding causing me to grit my teeth in pain.

I relaxed myself, as I swallowed the urge to vomit again. At my pause, a sound entered my hearing, prompting me to stiffen before focusing on the sound.

The noise began to get louder until I could interpret what it was. Crying.

I paused. No, it was sobbing. Someone close to my vicinity, though far enough for me not to hear anything else, was sobbing hard.

Frowning at the sound, I concentrated hard to hear something else. My head pulsed painfully at the effort, but I was rewarded by the sound of a conversation.

"SHUT UP!", someone shouted. It was deep and monotone and I presumed the shouting person to be a man.

The sobbing, however, only grew louder.

There was a sound of a hard thump being met with a sharp shriek of pain. It was the unmistakable sound of torture.

"Please... n-no m-more... please... I... I c-can't-"

The soft feminine voice sounded broken as it was cut off by the man.

"'I-I can't'", the man mocked before a barked laugh was heard. "You can't what, little girl?"

There was a faint sniffle before the girl replied in the same small voice, "I can't take it a-anymore."

Another laugh was heard, but this time it sounded more fake that the previous one. "Well, I can't believe you have the blood of a wolf. You're too weak to be a mutant. I don't know what the scientists were thinking when they conducted the experiment on you of all people."

My blood ran cold at his words. The girl was just like me.

Before I could further listen to the conversation, a pair of footsteps, light and calculating entered my hearing. They grew louder as they approached me and I immediately relaxed myself and evened my breathing as if I was still unconscious. Though I had the unusual need to save the girl, I had my own problems to face.