Chapter 24

After talking in the library and explaining who Sam is and where he might possibly be, Allen led me through the mansion. This part of the place was unfamiliar, the rooms open instead of enclosed. As we passed through each and every one of the rooms, my eyes skimmed at each one instinctively.

Before me, Allen was constantly chatting in a gleeful manner. His topics had started from books until I grew bored and tuned him out. He seemed fine however that I was barely responding. Perhaps he knew me enough to know that I didn't speak much.

We passed by a large living room and then another library before Allen led me up the stairs. How big is this mansion?

After a few more seconds of walking, Allen stopped. I bit my tongue from telling him to continue, to give me a tour of the place so that I could atleast get a bearing of my surroundings for future purposes. Even though I had a distinct outline of the mansion through their own cameras, it would have been much more better if I saw it for myself.

"Maybe I could give you a tour."

I finally gave Allen my attention, hoping he would give me the tour now.

"But not now", I gritted my teeth as he opened a door that led to a simple yet elegant room with a bed right next to large windows. "You must be tired so you should probably rest."

Now that he mentioned it, I felt how exhausted my body was. My limbs felt heavy and my back was slightly slouching. Try as I may, I couldn't straighten myself. Perhaps it was because of my recent nocturnal activities. I haven't slept since my capture, and the times I've fallen unconscious didn't count.

"You should rest. The doctor said that although you are healed, a good rest would do yourself some good."

He motioned for me to walk inside, as he held the door back. I willed my body to walk perfectly, not wanting to show Allen how tired I indeed was, but it was in futile. My shoulder brushed against his chest as I entered the room, barely noticing the rest of its interior.

"Lilac will bring you food later."

As the door slowly closed behind me, I half turned and caught a glimpse of a tight smile before it shut.

Not thinking much about it, I sat on the bed gingerly and laid down. Thinking about it can wait.

Not a second after, I fell into deep sleep.

-

A creak had me immediately opening my eyes. Sleep clouded my mind, but I was still able to make out a faint outline of the door slowly swinging open. By the doorway, an outline of a tall person entered the room quietly. Judging by the size of the person, it was a man. I was, however, unable to see his face.

The man paused beside my bed. I didn't want to let him know that I was awake so I prevented myself from lifting my head. My gaze could barely see the top part of the man's chest.

"Sam."

My breathing stilled and I felt all the blood from my face drop. The man had barely muttered it, but of course, with my hearing, I heard it perfectly. At that very moment, I almost wished that I couldn't hear so damn well. So that I couldn't have heard the familiar voice; the name.

As if the man knew I was awake and had heard him, he repeated the name.

The voice was so damn familiar. Even the way he uttered the name was similar to all the times he muttered it with affection as he had hugged me.

"Sam", he said again.

My eyes suddenly found themselves gazing at the man's right chest, right where an emblem of a bird should exactly be.