Chapter 12

I sat at the edge of the bed tiredly.

After giving Sam my blade and letting him take some of its blood, I encouraged him to examine it and immediately call me afterwards. The twinkle in his eyes told me of his excitement towards the investigation and I had no doubt that he'll examine it straight away.

Removing both my cloak and my belt, I placed it on the end of my bed before swinging my feet up on the comforter.

I sighed, somewhat comforted by the the softness of my bed. Closing my eyes, I willed myself to fall into the depths of sleep, but a thought pulled me back to consciousness. I sat up before reaching out for my belt and taking out my phone.

I clicked it open, expecting it to light up, but only an image of a battery, red and blinking appeared on the screen. Sighing, I reached out to my side and opened the drawer of a small cabinet, before taking out its charger.

Waiting for it to light up, I thought about what happening in the training ground and of the conversation the High Commander and his Protector had.

They were talking about someone being dead before they had noticed me eavesdropping. And after they thought I was unconscious, they were discussing about subjects.

With how they used it in a sentence, I was sure they were talking about humans.

But why were they so secretive about people they refer to as subjects that they had to leave the room even as I was 'unconscious'?

My thoughts were suddenly disrupted by a vibration in my hands. I looked down and immediately let my fingerprint be scanned after seeing that it had turned on. Swiping the side of the phone, a camera from the mansion appeared on the screen.

Watching intently, I saw a man reaching out towards the top of the camera. The man's blue eyes glanced once at the lens before focusing on its top, pursing his lips as he did so. His blond hair fell over his eyes, but he paid them no heed as he grinned vitoriously and pulled something. The screen immediately darkened before it snowed.

I cursed at the man, sliding off from the bed in anger. Glancing again on my phone, I willed its connection to return but unfortunately, I knew that it was in futile. Somehow, the man knew I had planted a ship, and I was impressed that he had known where it was despite its very small size.

My anger dissipated and I once again leaned back on my bed, my head comforted by the softness of my pillow. The man's face appeared in mind as I tried to close my eyes and go to sleep. Despite the fact that his eyes were unrecognizable, his hair tells otherwise and I had a strange feeling that I had seen it before in the vicinity of the mansion.

I suddenly opened my eyes, remembering the time when I penetrated through the mansion's security by throwing a stick at a man I believed to have been a person of authority.

Sighing, I slowly stood up ad began to pick up my belt and weapons. As I wore my belt and strapped my blades, I stared longingly at the bed, wishing I could rest my tired body.

Hardening my expression, I reminded myself of the dreams I would face as soon as I close my eyes to sleep. The dreams that haunted me every night were frightening and I had no desire to wake up in a tangled, sweaty mess on my bed today.

Turning my back, I inhaled deeply and willed my body to lose its tiredness, as I thought of what I should currently do. Deciding to return to the mansion to look for Allen, I walked towards the door.

Distracted by my thoughts, I did not noticed a figure on my doorsteps when I opened the door. A figure who raised his hands up before plunging them down on my head.

I shuffled backwards, almost tumbling down on the floor by the strength behind the blow. My head pounded, causing me to grip it with one of my hands, though it did nothing to lessen it.

"Damn, I thought one hit would suffice but you've got a harder head than you look."

I looked up as his words barely registered in my mind with the pounding of my head. Expecting someone whom I didn't know, I was surprised to see a man with features recognizable with his infamous smug smirk.

I glared at the High Commander's Protector through my hazy state. Willing myself to not lose consiousness, I struggled to unsheathe one of my blades in hopes of returning his blow.

Seeing that, he quickly moved forward with his hand clenched, about to strike me again. I dodge with a step to the side, almost falling down from the pounding of my head which only worsened from the move. Shadows appeared at the edge of my vision, but I willed them away, not wanting to faint.

The Protector staggered, not expecting the move to be dodged. At his distraction, I gave him a roundhouse kick to the head. The blow, despite my weakened state, was enough to cause him to fall on his face, though it only made the pounding unbearable as my body fought to lose consiousness.

I gripped my head with both of my hands, trying to fight the intolerable pain whilst stepping back from the Protector.

Groaning, I leaned on a wall, not noticing that the Protector had risen from the ground and was stalking towards me. Only when I felt another blow on my head and lose consiousness did I notice his figure right in front of me.

***

SUMMER!

OH HOW I LOVE YOU! PLEASE, NEVER LEAVE ME AGAIN, MY DEAR.