Chapter 19

Warning: long ass chapter ahead.

***

As I stepped away from the shower, I dried my hair off with a clean towel I had found in a small cabinet inside the bathroom.

I knew Sam might get angry and most likely annoyed that I took a shower in his ridiculously pink bathroom. But I suspect that it would be more because I had seen and discovered his horrendous choices of colors and interior in his apartment.

Despite being tired and slightly angry that Sam is taking his time getting here, I was excited to see what expression he might wear when I laugh at his home. So excited in fact that I saw a hint of a smile at the edge of my lips when I looked up at the mirror.

The smile immediately dropped into a frown when I saw something unbelievably incredible. Incredible and terrifying as I blinked my eyes to see if they were just my imagination or from my lack of sleep.

Instead of it returning to normal, I began to see them much more clearly as the hues of my reflection changed into a grayer shade. But that somehow didn't bother me at the moment as I moved as close as I can to the mirror with the sink digging into my thighs. I gripped the edges of the sink tightly as I stared longer at my eyes, horrified at what I saw.

My eyes were slit.

They widened at the sight I beheld in my reflection. Impossible. So thoroughly and utterly impossible, yet they were there, and even as I blinked my eyes a couple of times and lifted a hand to rub them, they never disappeared.

As if the world was tensing with me, the quiet snore of the little girl on the couch in the living room quieted. The silence somehow caused my head to pound, but I ignored it as I continued to observe the impossible sight before me.

I blinked, causing my sight to return and the grayness to disappear, almost making me sigh in relief, but it was overpowered by my still slit eyes. Their color was still brown, thank god, and the pupils blended well enough to the hue that it was impossible to notice it unless someone stares at them closely and intently.

After staring at them for too long, I finally felt the overwhelming pain of my head. Forgetting my eyes for a moment, I grabbed my forehead with my right hand as I gripped it painfully between my fingernails. The pounding, however, didn't lessen and I dug my fingers further in until I felt something wet and sticky trail from my nails down the sides of my face.

It seems I was tired. My head was demanding for rest, one I knew I desperately needed after what I went through. So, with my hand still on my forehead, I stumbled out from the bathroom and to Sam's room. I first walked my way to his closet and grabbed the closest thing I could.

The sweatpants with matching shirt was tight and short. I wasn't surprised however since I was taller than Sam's scrawny figure. Not that I cared if I looked ridiculous in his clothes, however, as I stumbled my way to the bed and collapsed on the neon green covers.

Without anymore thoughts of how Sam managed to purchase the absurd color and why he thought it would match with the purple walls of the room, I closed my eyes and succumbed to sleep.

It felt like I only closed my eyes for a moment before I was awoken by a sound. I immediately sat up and grabbed for my weapon I always place beside me when I sleep. But when my fingers only grabbed the comforter, I cursed under my breath and quickly slid off.

About to search for the weapons I knew I placed beside me through my headache, the sound returned. It was a sharp shriek of terror that sounded strangely familiar.

Momentarily forgetting about my sharp weapons since I could still inflict pain and death with my bare hands, I stumbled towards the open door, ignoring the fact that I closed it before.