Chapter 21

Warning: there may be a mistake or two in this chapter. If you see one, please call me out. Thanks!

***

The steel chain was wrapped tightly around my limbs and body, holding me to a metal chair.

That was the first thing I noticed when I awoke.

The next was the slight pounding in my head where the guard had struck me. The pain was dull compared to the previous times I had been struck however.

I paused.

The simple fact that my head was not throbbing painfully from when I was struck, like all the times before where the pain had been nearly agonizing was surprising. After having been captured by John, I felt different. Powerful.

A pair of footsteps entered my hearing, immediately distracting me from my thoughts. The steps were quiet and light, and I instantly knew who they belonged to.

I opened my eyes, this time not wanting to waste my time with pretending to be unconscious. Darkness greeted me. There was not a single light in the room to show me where they had placed me in.

They were smart, I'd give them that. Or perhaps it was Allen who had issued that there be no lights. Either he knew that I would use my surroundings to my advantage, or he hadn't bothered to turn it on.

I had an advantage however as I remember the times I had, unintentionally, removed the veil that covered my eyes. If I could lift them by my own, I could probably be able to see my surroundings.

As footsteps neared, I concentrated. I imagined the times I had been able to see my surroundings in shades of grey in the dark. Slowly, I felt something lift in my eyes, but I was still unable to catch a glimpse of anything inside the room.

I stiffled my irritation. My sight had seemingly failed me, unlike all the times I had been able to see my surroundings perfectly, albeit them being just shades of grey, black and white.

The footsteps had finally stopped and a door was swung open. Darkness still greeted me and I once again stiffled my irritation. This event will undeniably be the first thing I will relay and demand an answer to once I return to Sam's apartment.

Something clicked and I was immediately blinded as light flooded in the room. I was barely able to swallow the hiss of pain from the brightness of the light.

A slight chuckle was heard as footsteps entered the room. Inwardly scowling at the sound, I forced my eyes to open and to adjust to the light. Slowly, blurs began to clear and I was finally able to make out the smirk on Allen.

The urge to rip that expression from the dim-witted person in front of me currently sounded tempting. My fury had only grew upon seeing the smirk because I knew from the way it seemed almost smug looking that the lights in this room had been purposely turned off so I would feel pain when it would be turned on.

I imagined ripping the expression from his face using my nails. The image, the promise, to do so eventually satisfied me and stiffled my fury enough that I sat as straight as I possible could in the chair. Something hard dugged through my back, and I ignored the discomfort as I acknowledged the person in from of me with a blank stare.

"Allen."

His name rolling from my lips seemed to have drew him out of his reverie as the smirk finally dropped into a tight line. His eyes scanned me slowly from bottom to top before they eventually settled on my eyes.

"Void."

We stared at each other for a while longer after he had acknowledged me as well, seemingly having a battle with each other to see who would yield and inquire first. As our eyes continued its onslaught, I used the time to observe my surroundings at the edge of my vision.