Chapter 23

Warning: there might be a grammar/spelling mistake. Please call me out if you ever see one.

***

There was a pause in the air, a wisp of tension that seemed impossible to break.

I stared at Allen.

He stared back.

A protector of hybrids, he says? How dumb did he think I am that I would fall for that? He was a man shrouded in mystery. A previous Protector of the late Allen who he had exchanged identity with for the sake of... something I hadn't asked before.

Allen was also somehow the leader of the guards in this very mansion. How he came to be as such was unbeknownst to me, as well as the reason why he was protecting this place.

And at the same time... he is a protector of hybrids?

His identity didn't add up. Who is he? If he indeed 'finds and protects hybrids', then how had he not found me before? And, if there are other hybrids like me, where were they? Was this mansion a safe haven for them? Why do they need protection anyway?

Questions upon questions ran around in my mind, causing a bit of a migraine to appear. Outwardly however, my expression was still blank. I did not want to let him see how that information caused a turmoil in my head.

The air was still thick, but I did not want to be the one to break it. I swallowed, tensing my body as I swallowed my questions before I could voice them out.

Allen sighed in front of me. The deep sigh echoed in the hall, causing the brown-haired young woman to cast a worried glance at him. So far, that had been the only movement caused by the girl after what he had said. That would probably mean that he was in on the lie and knew beforehand.

"I find and protect hybrids", Allen repeated as if he thought I hadn't heard him.

"And."

He blinked, confusion on his face. He probably thought I'd have a different reaction, like I'd cower before him and thank him. I didn't even need protection.

He blinked again, "And we bring them here, to this mansion, to protect them."

"And where are they?"

His confusion returned, "What do you mean?"

I stepped forward until I was a breath away from him. His eyes dropped to look at something before he stared at my eyes. "I've been inside this mansion twice, so why haven't I noticed or bumped into them?"

"That's because you never got a chance to wander deeper into the mansion."

A voice said behind me, causing me to slightly stiffen. I had been so distracted by Allen and my thoughts that I hadn't noticed someone had approached us.

I twisted my body to glance at the male. He looked a year older than twenty, with brown shoulder length hair, and a slight stubble on his chin. Despite his gruff look, he was tall and lanky with only a hint of muscle. His grey eyes met mine and he stared at me with intensity.

"Brother." The young woman approached his brother and stood beside him.

The man glanced at the female before his gaze returned to mine. "The only other living hybrid other than yourself is Lilac."

Lilac. The name sounded familiar.

My eyes glanced at Allen before I finally placed her name. He had mentioned her before when I had captured him.

I turned my body around, making sure not to completely turn my back on Allen, to look at the female. She didn't look like a hybrid, more of a highschool student, but a few years older looking than the girl I had taken from the basement of the Society.