Chapter 2. Idle Hands.

.Natalia.

The evening weather looked like turning the day into a perfect disaster. A fat cluster of clouds, the color of coal, prowled over the city, threatening with a torrential rainfall, if not thunder. Although there was a little bit of wind, the clouds kept glooming the day into utter depression, and the cold wasn't really helping. I slept more that I needed, the warm covers cocooned my sleep, so I walked to the bus stop in a really bad mood for the sudden weather and a really bad timing for my night shift.

On my way there, the heavy rain was falling in stronger force, the splashed water transforming into fast puddles, and immediately, it seeped through the seams of my shoes, drenching my socks and the hem of my jeans. I move away from the yells of the people victimized by rude vehicles, before spotting the bus that was going to take me to the hospital.

I was so late. I hurried down to the common room, touching the small number combination and pulling the locker door to stuff my bag in there, the perfectly folded colored scrubs were already waiting for me.

After peeling off my street clothes, I cast them on the back of a chair and slipped on the baby blue colored clothing and reglamentary coat. I tied the drawstrings of my pants and fastened my still wet pair of sneakers, gathering my hair in a quick and small ponytail, before walking into the reception room to look out for somebody to guide me through today's schedule.

My eyes roamed through the ER's case chart on the long illuminated wall. As chaos reigned over my life, a smile of my own tugged at the skin around my lips. It was half-hearted, stifled by the circumstances of my day, but at least it was something.

Burned arm, kid with a mild broken foot and car accident.

My name was scribbled bellow the kid's gurney space on the organized chart of cases. It was quite a common thing for me to take the piece-of-cake medical charts, but I didn't mind whatever I've got.

The small smile on my face was growing as I was waving hello at the daily faces in here, while walking to the kid's designated bed.

A kid wasn't really that bad, less drama meant that the whole puddle ordeal was soon going to be forgotten.

I was so wrong.

"Hello little fella," I greeted a very fussy toddler with an annoyed looking mom. Great. Just great. "Can you please tell me what happened?" I made a quick and almost uncomfortable greeting, as I moved the stainless steel stool towards the bed, slowly assessing the kid's extremity, while he was tossing around the top white sheet.

"About damn time someone made it in here, I can't believe we've been waiting for hours!" The shrill voice of the mom was already drilling my skull, I tried to remain calm, quickly testing the kid's motions and just keeping up with the standard procedure of checking out the x-rays, ignoring the mom and the cries. "Are you even a doctor? You look so inexperienced."

She looked at me up and down in antipathy or frustration, I couldn't tell.

"I can't fucking believe this, I demand to see a proper doctor, right now."

"I'm sorry ma'am, but there's no one else available." I said gently to her in a calm voice, while I was silently cursing at her for making this harder than it was. I wasn't a doctor, I was barely an intern, but I was still doing the best I could at the moment.

After 45 minutes, she was still bickering and scrutinizing every single movement I made, I was slowly breathing in and out, working on the cast for the little boy, trying not to seem too unprofessional or emotional invested. I worked slowly but surely, trying to get the little kid to cooperate with me, I even started to recite a bedtime story for him to just calm down, but it wasn't going smoothly.