Chapter 5. Silence and Sounds.

.Natalia.

The few hours of deep sleep, the tomato soup and the hot shower were slowly moving my body to a well-rested state, I was brushing my hair into a safe short braid and even felt the slightest smile on my face at how fine I was feeling.

I was tying down my sneakers, already changed into my favorite purple scrubs and I ignored the phone calls of Lily, who was probably trying to reach me for the latest gossip piece of the pop star under my care. Everyone knew already about the past night events, and of course they all wanted to get the latest scoop on it, so even people who would never said hello to me, were waving and approaching me all of a sudden.

I felt disgusted with them all. I wasn't interested, so I dismissed everyone in a polite way and I hurried to help Brett go home.

After showing my ID to the security staff and slowly turning the knob on the door, I found myself staring at him talking slowly to Harry's mother, but there was nobody else in the room, just them.

"Hello," I greeted them respectfully. "How's the patient doing?"

"Still sleeping," His mom answered, her eyes still red rimmed and depressed.

I didn't blame her one bit.

"I'm actually trying to convince Mrs. Twist here that she can go and get some rest, there is a reason we're here and his son is in very good hands." Brett is trying to share the conversation with me and I agree, there is a reason why there was a request for a closed day and night guard for him.

"I just want to stay with him, I need to be here when he wakes up."

"If you want, we can arrange the couch for you to sleep in, or you can go get some proper rest and I can assure you we'll text you, or call you if there's any change in his current state." I suggested those two options for her to feel better. "He is really in good hands and there's no need to worry, this is our job, that's why we're here."

Brett keeps telling her that she needs the rest, as they seem to get along just fine, and finally she agrees, moving to her purse to retrieve a small piece of paper and writing down her phone information.

"This is my hotel card, my daughter's and my number." She hands me the folded page and I carefully set it under the hospital phone piece. "Thank you for doing this, I know there is no need to be with him all the time, but your help and attention is really appreciated."

We both nod along and Brett waves at me goodbye, before leaving the room with Mrs. Twist.

This time around I've brought a book with me, to keep me awake for most of the night, and a cardigan to keep me warmer than yesterday. After checking that everything was in order, and looking through the latest tests results, I paced through the room, still thinking about the girls guarding the hotel outside.

Harry's family was being escorted from the underground parking lot so that they couldn't be spotted or photographed, but still, there was a huge turmoil of people and reporters guarding doors and asking questions to everyone.

This were chaotic days, and something was telling me that it was all just the beginning.

I visited quickly one of the nurse's station to grab a cup of coffee, waving at Lori, who for some unknown reason, always seemed to have the same working hours as me; she was still mentioning her boyfriend travesties and I was abstaining myself from rolling my eyes.

"And then he asked me if I wanted to move in with him, can you imagine? It's way too soon anyway!"

No, I couldn't imagine, as no one's asked me to move in.
Every single time I see her, she starts to tell me the story that is her life and it's like she knows where she stopped, and I'm always too damn polite to cut her off, so I'm always blinking at her and nodding my head as she rambles on to the end of times.
Oh God, I needed to distract her conversation.