Chapter 7. Bet it Stung.

.Natalia.

It was all too much for me to take.
I was bound for breakdown, and I gulped down a few times, trying not to stare into anybody's face as I fled to the end of the hallway. Lori was waving at me and calling intensely, but my feet were fast, running into a very familiar direction, crossing the heavy white door that lead to the stairs, where I was going to be safe for a while. 

In the middle of the last set of steps, my sobs were evidently loud, and I took a couple of calming breaths but it was all too fucking much, I crawled down the wall to sit on the floor, clutching both of my legs to my body and hiding my streaming face inside of my top, pressing the fabric against my face as the heaves of my sobs became louder and messier.

I've watched them all, as if in slow motion.

I stared at their huge display of affection and tears, like an outsider, and I couldn't help myself but crave that love that he was getting so heartwarming and true.

They seemed like a loving family and it was breaking my soul to know that I had no idea what that felt like, to be held by your mother or to be missed when you were sleeping or injured, to be truly loved and cherished. I covered my mouth and stifled the cries that escaped me, trying to settle down as I wiped my cheeks and my nose with the bottom of my shirt.

My heart was feeling crushed. I stood up, uncrossing my legs and staggering backwards, and stayed for a couple of minutes there, being held by the cold wall, until I felt my sobs were subsiding.

I needed more time for the puffiness of my eyes to decrease, so I made my way into the small chapel and meditation room, which was at the end of the offices on the third floor. I did this every time I needed a quick nap, or if I was feeling overwhelmed or stressed out. I was taking 10 minutes of peace and quiet and then I was going to go back to my regular routine, probably going home to get some decent sleep.

The air smelled like candles and fresh flowers. It was comfortable and I took a seat at the far end of the last sitting row, my sneakers making a distinct noise against the wooden floor. There was a huge display of colored glass panels evoking a religious scene, and it made the room a little armonial with the dim light. The room was not empty, only two more people were in there, but I didn't mind.

I was folding my arms against myself and resting my back against the hard bench.
I closed my eyes and tried to focus on setting my energy into something nice, into something soothing, like me walking on the beach shore, or resting against a comfortable set of pillows, I pictured myself petting a beautiful dog, or eating a lovely cone of soft ice cream.

I stayed more than the 10 minutes I intended, probably slept again at some point, losing track of time, and just feeling the tranquility engulfing me. The ambience of the place was responsible for the calm that now rested my body, and I tried to move my feet to lay down on the bench, when a small but distinct cough was heard further on that very same wooden seat, like someone asking subtly for attention. My eyes opened and I turned to see who was disturbing my peace, or if maybe I was perturbing their space, when I came across to someone quite familiar.

And no, it wasn't someone from the hospital staff.

I was taking in the messy hair on the top of his head, a pair of beautiful but somehow tired eyes, and the hooded slim figure of a man who truly smelled like a really good sunshine day.

Louis Tomlinson was smiling gently at me, sitting down there, almost next to me.

"Do you work here?" His voice set me off.

He was really there.

He was talking to me.

Me.